Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jammin

Houseboat trip this weekend, no locator, what do we do???

5 posts in this topic

Myself and 7 of my friends are going to be trying to fish the U.S. side of the lake for the first time this weekend. We have no locator and two small aluminum boats. We are really looking for any advice on how to catch any type of fish. If anybody could help us out on areas that usually produce or baits that may work well for us it would be greatly appreciated.

does anyone in your group have a vexilar? Thats what i would use.

Hey Jammin,

I'd highly suggest picking up some portable electronics at the bare minimum if you are planning on fishing walleye. The fish will be migrating out to the reefs. Finding the reefs will be tough without them, and pinpointing fish will be a trial and error method at best. You'll still be able to pick up some weed walleye or some shoreline fish, but with the warm temps the fish will be heading deeper if there isn't any current present. Good Fishing!

RD

All the advice so far has been great! Thank You! We're going to pick up some rental electronics but we're still wondering what's working best for baits and where the fish will be in comparison to the shore and the reefs and how deep to fish. Like I said we're beginners so any info. will help us tremendously!!

Welcome Jammin' grin.gif

Look for the fish in 20-30' of water on the shoreline breaklines and the reefs. A jig in a minnow is a good way to work 'em. With the electronics that the houseboats will give you, work the 20-30' area with spinners trolled at about 1 mph. This will help you cover ground, and once found you can fish them with a jig/minnow or a lindy rig. Blueberry Island area will be good, as will waters farther west around cranberry island. Think reefs! I would definately have minnows with, and also a variety of leeches and crawler...or if you are on a budget go with one or the other of crawlers or leeches.