Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milkdud

Kitchi Lake reports?

4 posts in this topic

I am looking for some tips on fishing Kitchi. I have never been there before and will be staying at Lost acres over the July 4th week. If anyone has any suggestions including starting points that would be great. I am most interested in walleyes but wouldn't mind finding some muskies either.

Thanks!

A long time since I spent a summer week on Kitchi, but what I remember was out in the eve right out in front of Lost Acres trolling in 10-15'. I would use a crawler harness and go SLOWLY.

No help for musky, but for pike I say GO DEEP!. I would first try shallow though-with a plain No. 3 silver Mepps for snakers or a big white bass spinnerbait thrown at the reeds for bigger ones. Another spot I would try for sure would be at the turn into the Turtle River heading toward PikeHole. Supposedly the whole shoreline down past the overhead powerline is a prime spot to try too but we never have.

Good luck.

All good suggestions from gene. The walleye have probably moved deeper now than they were a couple weeks ago when I fished it. So fish the break on the N. Shore and W. Shore of Kitchi. We just move in and out between 10 and 18 ft until we find the walleyes. They always seem to be shallower on Kitch than I expect them to be too.

For muskies. The whole north shore can hold fish. Good well defined breakline on the western half. Really deep water comes up next to the break as you move west towards the narrows/powerline. Powerline is gone now, but you can't miss the neck-down. Good cabbage beds intermittently all along that shore. Try trolling the deep edge of the cabbage during the day. Or cast on top of it a low-light periods or cloudy/windy times. If you get a stiff south breeze for a couple days, and you can handle getting bounced around... the action can be pretty good on the north shore.

The western arm of Kitchi (what do they call that now... Whitefish Bay?) has some really steep shoreline contours too. I've never caught a muskie on these dropoffs... but have caught some walleyes and some nice pike. Good luck. Post a report when you get back!

Mark

Thanks for the tips guys I will post a report when I get back!