Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HateHumminbird

Winnie Report - 6/22-6/24 - With Pics

6 posts in this topic

Fellow pro-staffer Mike Walerak and I got our families together this weekend for a little R & R on Winnie this weekend. We've both been meaning to fish this gem for quite some time, and we took the family vacation as an opportunity to do just that. I'd like to thank Rick and Kim of High Banks Resort on behalf of our families for a truly great time.....but more on that later!

Our first crack at it was on Friday afternoon for a few hours. We boated a handful of fish and lost two more boatside, which we were satisfied with for a first run on the lake.

mike1.jpg

The next day brought high winds, and some good family time. We did get out for awhile in some of the protected areas with the whole crew and caught a few perch.

isaac.JPG

Sunday morning however, it was on. Mike and I were out at first light, and the fishing would not dissappoint. In about 3 hours, we boated 15 fish, missing countless more. We refined our technique as the morning went on, and by the time we had to leave, we were catching fish quite consistently.

Location: Lake Winnibigoshish - Mud to gravel transitions, wind-blown inside-turns 24-31 FOW

Technique: : drifting bottom bouncer rigs - w/sock, backtrolling to the head of the drift

Rod: : Limit Creek 6'9ML, St. Croix 7'ML

Reel: : Abu Cardinal 500, Shimano Stradic

Line: Power Pro 10lb, Gama 8lb

Bait: Jumbo Leeches gave way to whole worms or the front half of a worm (when bait ran low) Back half of worm didn't get bit

Hook: Gamakatsu #4, Chartruese, Red Bead was critical (difference between no bites and constant bites)

mike3.jpg

joel2.jpg

joel3.jpg

joel4.jpg

eater.jpg

Overall, a few more than half of our fish were slot fish, with more than enough just small enough if you wanted to take home a meal of fish.

We were very impressed, and are looking forward to our next trip back!

Joel

Nice pics,I like the consentration look on the boy!I was out on cutfoot sunday with my wife and we saw lots of stuff floating in the water,was it the shells left over from the mayfly hatch?

You're killin me... Now I am seriously jonesing my favorite waters.

Love the rod in one hand and netting fish for Mike. You are welcome in my boat anytime. wink.gif Let me know when you are going back.

Pikeslayer:

Isaac was I believe trying to touch the Perch's eye while I was telling him not to. I think he was deciding whether or not to pay attention to his old-man.

The mayfly slicks were all over the big lake as well....at times, you'd be surrounded by nothing the but mayfly junk.

Joel

Thanks Joel!! We sure enjoyed having you stay with us at High Banks!! GREAT pictures!! Looks like Isaac is already a pro in the boat!! Looking forward to having you and your family visit again!!

What a great time we had! It was my son's first trip to a lake and my first time fising Winnie. He was as facinated by the water as I was the fishing. Winnie is now one of my favorite places to fish. It is always nice when you can mix "eater size" in with some slot fish. I think he next trip will have to involve some heavy duty perch fishing. We got a taste of it and I think I am ready for more.

The walleyes definatly showed a liking to leaches at first light but once the sun was high it was crawlers all the way.

High Banks by far exceeded my expectations. Kim and Rick run a well mantained, clean and quiet place. Not only that the fishing tips we recieved from them helped us get started in the right direction!

Thanks High Banks

I will try to post as soon as I get a chance.

mw