Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul

In a way SLOT LIMITS SUCK. But Then again with out them?

20 posts in this topic

Well got back from Mille lacs lake a hour or so ago. We fished Sunday mornign from 12am to 5:30 am and have over 65 fish caught with only 2 keepers and rest were in the slot of no fish 20-28. Sunday night8-12 35+ fish same spot. Monday mornign 8-1pm 4 people in launch 7 fish 1 keeper. They were weird today, water was 25 feet deep and we had bobbers set to 10 feet and killed the hawgs. Almost everyone was 25 or bigger. Here is some of ours.

PaulEye22andquarter.jpg

AaronWalleye26andaquater.jpg

AaronWalleye26andaquater.jpg

27andand3quaters.jpg

%7Boption%7D

PaulEye22andquarter.jpg

I was at Mille Lacs last weekend and caught 3 slots in a row on Sunday morning - two 16s and a 19. Overall, in a day and a half, I caught 20 walleyes and only 5 were slots, but I wasn't complaining about having to release those 24-26 inchers.

I have been going to mille lacs every weekend for the past 2 months. The DNR has done a GREAT job with the slot limit there. If your going for slot fish your wasting your gas money by traveling to mille lacs. Mille lacs fishery is going to be prime for monster walleye for many more years because of the slot limit. I just got back from fishing all night Saturday and we caught 15 walleye, our smallest was 23" to 27" I have had an awesome time fishing down there and plan on making a few more trips this year yet.

Quote:

I have been going to mille lacs every weekend for the past 2 months. The DNR has done a GREAT job with the slot limit there. If your going for slot fish your wasting your gas money by traveling to mille lacs. Mille lacs fishery is going to be prime for monster walleye for many more years because of the slot limit. I just got back from fishing all night Saturday and we caught 15 walleye, our smallest was 23" to 27" I have had an awesome time fishing down there and plan on making a few more trips this year yet.

I agree... We didn't even keep our slot fish. You don't go to mille lacs to catch keepers. You go there to catch "releasers."

My thoughts exactly, If you want catch lots of "picture Takers" Mille lacs is the place to go!!!!

Good Point, without that slot, where would that lake be. But I see your point on wanting to take a few eaters. I wish they would implement more slot limits around here. Especially on northerns.

I don't want people to think I was complaing, I wasn't (ok Maybe a little bit) I was more amazed at the fact that we couldn't catch a keeper for the life of me. We got 2 in 3 days. I heard a horrible story while we were down there from our launch captain (that I have not been able to find verication of story) about how the DNR and the BIA and Fed's discovered an excess of 100,000 lbs of walleyes toss in a garbage pile after gill netting. IF that is true it is disgusting if not well I guess Our captain had a grudge.

I actually Heard that was awhile back ago, Do you know when it might of happened??

He did not say, he just said it was more than 100,000 lbs of prime eaters. I dont remeber the exact number but is was astronomically more than 100k

Those kind of stories will never end. Rumors are rumors and if it was that big of a find (as you stated) it would have been on the news or in papers especially in the outdoor news. I think that captain just had a grudge.

Stories like that make da Hitman very angry. Throwing fish in the trash -- how dumb are people?

Worst part is these "storys" are true and they get published in mille lacs lake association paper every sping with pictures. My only thought is !WHY!

I thought someone might get upset over my post so I figured I better show some proof. If you do a search for mille lacs messenger and then on that site you search the arcives for "dumped fish" you will see one such article. Not the one I was looking for but whats the difference wasted fish is wasted fish.

Mille lacs is famous for finger pointing, and that article you pointed out clearly states that. Why is it that everyone automatically assumes that the Tribal members are the ones doing this. There are a lot of Non tribal members out there famous for stealing nets and only God knows what they do with the fish. I'm sure they wouldn't want to get busted with a freezer and a half of walleye fillets. So they dump them and put the blame on an easy target. Sorry this is just a touchy subject for me.

No need to apologize leechbait, you bring up a good point and I agree with you. Some people don't see the other side of things or from a different perspective, they only believe what they want to believe.

Good point.

Thank you eyehunter, your comments are very much appreciated.

thanks all for keeping the posts civilized. It's much appreciated.

Keep up the good posts.

well don't I look like a closed minded A**

leechbait, when I read your repy I couldn't figure out why you got so defenceive because they article I had found pointed no fingers at all. It just stated that a gill net full of walleye was found in the woods near leech lake. Anyway I redid my serch to see if you may have found a different article and seen what you were refering to.

In no way did I intend to "FINER POINT" the only pointing I was trying to do was towards the fact that this sort of thing does happen and does get published, seems maybe not the most upstanding publiciations in your piont of view but you can't deny that it does happen.

P.S. sory about the spelling I sock!

Sorry Fishing Addict, I wasn't saying you were finger pointing. I got defensive about it because I'm a Native American and that Mille Lacs and the surrounding area area famous for these kind of accusations. It wasn't my intention to single you out. I only wanted to bring the other side of it, and I did that in a civil way I think. I do not deny it happens. It disgusts me as much as it does you, believe me it does. And you're right I'm sure I did read a different article. Again, no disrespect to you, and I think we both said what we had to say and we should just leave it at that.

leech bait,Thanks

I understand

no hard feelings hear