Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cfshnbfshn

Hello!!

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have bopped on to this forum a few times. You all seem like a nice group of fish'n people. grin.gif I am planning on going out to the river for the 1st time this Sat. with a few guys from our church. Usually I go for what ever bites. However, I would LOVE to catch a few eyes. I am wondering if there are a few basic hints you would be willing to share. I am guessing the first hint would be to bring a life jacket. laugh.gif I look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard! I'm not sure what area you are planning to fish but anything from Stillwater south and you'll want to get to the ramps really early, like 4-4:30 a.m. fish and get off the water by noon before all the cabin cruisers get out and about.

Tunrevir~

It seems the cabin cruisers and pleasure boaters are making their appearances on the water earlier and earlier every weekend. Last weekend I saw people waterskiing before 7am and there were cruisers before 8am. Usually the cruisers are hung over until at least 10.

Like others I like to be on by 6:00 and off by 10:30. Other than that the river is an awesome fishery, for the beginner it can be very humbling however, if you don't already have one find yourself a map and start working the points and breaks with either a crawler or a leech on a lindy rig with a short snell, I usually have better luck on the sand, and it is much less aggravating than fishing the rocks. Stick to depths of 12'-24' +- and work slowly and you should be able to find some action!

Not sure what you're preferred method is, but if you aren't into live bait rigging there is always trolling shad raps or trolling spinners on three ways.

Good luck and have fun.

My tip for the river and walleye is to make sure you are on the breakline. Simple tip but walleyes are strongly drawn to breaklines. Then get systematic about the depths you cover.

Many fish are in 15 to 25 right now.

Keep catchin'

Turk

Also keep in mind that the river is a Federal Waterway, and is subject to more stringent rules for watercraft. You will need certain things for different sized boats (such as fire extinguisher, throwable flotation device, proper life vests, horn, etc...). Check the regs out either at the DNR or US Coast Guard web site or get a copy of the regs from any deputy registrar. You need to be up to snuff, as you will most likely be checked sometime out there. Good luck and enjoy grin.gif

Thank you to everyone for your wisdom!! I am really etting excited for Sat. It seems like the weather is going to be a plus. I will be checking into the regs as well for the water. Thanks again everyone. Good Luck! cool.gif

FIRST OFF WELCOME!! CFSHNBFSHN What part of the river are you planning to be on? Do you know where you'll be launching from? just curious smile.gif

Wow, I am really impressed by those of you who are posters on this St Croix forum. I have been watching for a while thinking bout finding a closer area to learn since i am going broke driving to the big pond each weekend.

Anyways thanks for being such a willing and kind group of posters! Like cfshnbfshn, I am going to be heading out very soon to start learning the ways of the Croix.

Thanks for the great tips and good fishing to you all!

I believe we are headed out of Afton. Where exactly, I am not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your encouragement and help. I am REALLY excited for Sat. Good luck if you all end up on the water.

There's a large rock pile north of Afton about half way to Hudson on the Wisconsin side. I'd give the edges a try with some crawlers or leeches on a lindy rig. Work your way up and down the break until you locate some fish.

If it's in Afton, then it would be the Windmill Marina. Very nice place, a few kids to help you launch, drive you back (after parking) in a golf cart, etc... Expect to pay $19 on the weekends. Oh, it does get busy from 10AM and on, when the non-fishing people start to show up... cool.gif

St Croix Bluffs Regional Park is not too far south on St. Croix Trail (that's the road that goes through Afton, too). I'd say 5 minutes or so only. It's a Washington County park and costs only $5 to get in (or $25 for a yearly pass). The launch is 3 wide, but with the lower water levels now, scraping can be an issue if you have an 18 foot or longer boat. Well, my Shorelander scrapes on the left side (looking down towards the launch), so I try to launch more on the right side. I've never launched there on a weekend morning, so I can't comment on it. But when I was out with Walli1 a few weeks ago, I noticed like 10 or so boats launching out right after they open @ 6AM. So they must be lining up out on St. Croix Trail...;)