• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Candy for bait Quuestion

Boar

Found a supplier in Cambridge MN that deals in bulk candy very cheap, thing is he has so many kinds from milk duds mints gummy bears liqourish trailmix chocolate cherrys ect. ect. Litteraly a kid in a candy store. Was wondering what works for you guys, nevery baited with candy cause I couldnt get my hands on it locally in bulk. I favoring liqourish though any thoughts would be great. Thanks boar.

I have used gummy bears,licorice, candy hearts, candy corn. Gummy bears suck to get apart. All of them brought in bees. If I use it in the future it will be the day before I hunt and in the cooler days. I had to abandon one site because the wasp were so thick and drunk on the candy I couldn't get into the bait site safely anymore.

Kenny's candy in Perham is another supplier for bulk mistakes. Wouldn't hurt to check them out if your driving in the area. Don't know what they charge but know you can get it from them.

Boar-

I think I went to the same guy last year and you are right it was real cheap- I put out 100 lbs of gummy worms and the bears would eat that last- I would also put out donuts and other good items and that gummy worms were always the last to be eaten but they did eat it-

Boar,

From what I understand with the supplier is you have to get your order in quickly. He runs out of the stuff pretty fast.

Bring the biggest truck you have. Buy some 55 gal. drums with lockable tops.

Like someone else already stated, make sure you have a site that is getting hit on a daily basis, otherwise the stinging/biting insects will get to the sweets before the bears do!

Thanks guys, I was thinking the same thing on the insects, I would,nt start using candy till I go hit regularly, but also I use pastry to, last year I had alot of wasp looking bugs in my bait pile, not like the ones ya see making a nest under your faucet trim, maybe their hornets. But these suckers were big an looked like they could do damage, but when I was baiting an cleaning out old food from last years dissapearing bear trick, as long as I was calm slow moving they would,nt bother me. I used doughnuts berries an cream lunch, pizza an topped with burnt honey syrup. thats alot of sugar an comparable to candy I'm sure. But nothing was eating it so it attracted the big ugly buzzing thingys. I plan on using pizza an dog food alittle syrup to top till I get hit, then start adding candy to try an seal the deal. As far as putting in my order to that guy in cambridge, I have famly a half hour away an so I'm gonna call him an tell him to pick up what he has on hand via cell phone. Thanks guys later boar. Oh year I found meat scrapes for 6 bucks for 50 lbs but soon running out of frezzer space. Thats it, Daddy wants a big freezer for Christmas. Boar

Sugar Cone Crumbles! They love em'! He might not have them though.

Choclate covered cherries are #2, but supposidy they aren't supposed to have chocolate so look into that really good before you start with that. I used them one year until I was told otherwise. Personally, I just stopped due to it being a pain trying to find out if it's good or bad for them.

I also use a lot of berry pie filling. A local store should have big cans ouf it. Don't know how far I can go on this, so I'll just say the stores name is a three letter abbreviation.