• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Directions to Big V (Cook side) from Grand Marais

anyone know the best way to get from Grand Marais to Cook?

just looking at the route ( South down the coast on 61, then West thru Jordon, and then NorthWest to the lake basically). Anyone have a better route?

thanks....

The best way to go as far as a pretty straight road in good shape would be to head down to Silver Bay and get on Lake County 15 / Forest Highway 11 and that will take you over towards Hoyt Lakes. Lake County 15 will turn into St. Louis County 16. Stay on SLC 16 and that will bring you out to US 53 just south of Eveleth. Once you are on 53 just head north and that will bring you right to Cook.

Right now There is a fairly decent detour on Highway 1 between Isabella and the Tomahawk Road (about 20 miles south of Ely) and then again between the Y west of Tower and Angora. Any other time I would recomend that route if you wanted a scenic drive with a good chance of seeing a moose but there is major road construction going on south of Ely.

• 4 weeks later...

Quote:

The best way to go as far as a pretty straight road in good shape would be to head down to Silver Bay and get on Lake County 15 / Forest Highway 11 and that will take you over towards Hoyt Lakes. Lake County 15 will turn into St. Louis County 16. Stay on SLC 16 and that will bring you out to US 53 just south of Eveleth. Once you are on 53 just head north and that will bring you right to Cook.

Right now There is a fairly decent detour on Highway 1 between Isabella and the Tomahawk Road (about 20 miles south of Ely) and then again between the Y west of Tower and Angora. Any other time I would recomend that route if you wanted a scenic drive with a good chance of seeing a moose but there is major road construction going on south of Ely.

Are there any problems in coming up Hwy 2 from the North Shore to Ely? Would I still hit the construction at Hwy 1 by going that way?

And is the construction West of Tower still going on?

I would appreciate any info.

Thank you