• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

mass air flow sensor?

fish2live

Question

i think my mass air flow sensor is bad in my 96 old ciera. it is idling realy high sometimes and other times it just idles high. there is a crack in the top of the sensor and it looks like the previous owner tried to silicone it. does this sound like the sensor is bad? how do i tell for sure?

3 answers to this question

Bring it in to Autozone and they will do a sensor scan for free. That will tell you if it is the sensor or something in line with the sensor.

Unplug it and see if it idles about normal.

If the check engine light is not on than the guys at autozone may not know what to look for. The MAF sensor sends out a volume of air value to the computer. Knowing what this number should be is important in determining whether it is bad or not. I have also had them read correct but have the wrong frequency when checked with the lab scope.

The other possibility is that the Idle Air Control valve (IAC) might be carboned up and sticking. I am guessing that this is a 3.1 liter. The IAC is on the right side of the throttle body. It is round and has the four pin connector. Lightly tap on it and see it the RPM's change. If the do than I would remove it (two torx screws) and see if it is covered in carbon deposits. If it is clean it really good with carb spray along with the passages in the throttle body and reinstall. I have had a lot off success with just cleaning them.

hey thanks for the replies. i acually bought a whole throtle body from one of the local salvage yards with all the sensors. they tested them and they are all good. for 35 buck i guess you can't go wrong i will clean it up real good before install. they also give a 90 day warrenty with it.