Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Troublehook

Casting deck material

7 posts in this topic

What type of wood can you use for making a casting deck on your boat? Do you have to treat it with something, if so what?

Thanks

Marine plywood.

You can cover plywood with epoxy resin.

Do a search on this, it has been cover sooo many times, in fact it's one of the most asked questions.

Thnaks for the advice, I remembered seeing this type of topic in the past, and so I did do a search before I posted, but I didnt get any related results. Maybe I should now do a search for "marine plywood."

Thanks again both of you for the help.

Well I searched for plywood, and got a bunch of great results, but I still have one question. I have decided that if I do this, I will be using AC plywood, and treat it with fiberglass resin, the question that I have is, when I found the plywood, there was ACX, and AC2, does it matter wich one of those I use? I am not sure what the X, or 2 stand for.

Not sure about AC2, but in ACX the X is for exterior.

AC2 sounds so much like ACQ that it would probably be a treated plywood. ACQ is the type of treated lumber that eats aluminum or any other metals that are not specialy coated.

There are new treated wood products out there that are less caustic but most treated plywoods aren't designe for horizontal applications.

thanks, I will get the ACX then.