Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dewydog

Osakis blue's

5 posts in this topic

I will be camping on Osakis from July 5-9 and wondering how the bluegills are on the lake? I have never fished the lake and i would like to get the kids on some fish smile.gif. We will be staying right in town at Idlewild. Wondering if osakis is the lake to fish or if i need to find another lake in the area for good blues? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks, Dewydog

For whatever reasons, we could catch any gill this year. We have tried all our spots (usually this time of the year, we caught a few 10 – 11 inches already).

However, we never caught so many walleyes before this year. Go figure.

Right now the Blue Gills I've caught have come from working the edges and pockets of tall standing weed and reeds. They are scattered pretty good but if you keep working those weed edges patience and persistence and use a very quiet approach (clear shallow water and they spook easy) you should find some. They haven't clustered up together yet or migrated off the outside weeds as they do later in the summer but they will in the next 2 or 3 weeks. You might time this right if warm sunny weather persists or you could be a week or two early for the best sunfish action.

Thanks for the info guys it should be a good vacation. The kids are very excited to do some fishing. It's amazing how interested they get when there is something on the end of the line???

Thanks again, Dewydog

Sportfish is dead-on. You'll need to find the gills, but once you do, the action should be decent.