Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shaktown_Fisherman

Problems in the Shallows

3 posts in this topic

Its ver shallow in shakopee right now. I am wondering what kind of spots I should be fishing in from the shore to catch ANYTHING. We've gone out and caught an average of two fish in 3 hours. Mostly baby cats and carp, but I think to myself, there has got to be more action somewhere. We fish slip weight rigs with nightcrawler on plain eagle claw hook. I dont care what we catch; slimers, carp, walleye, cats, smallies, etc.. I just really need to find some nice shore action. Its seems like its too shallow (about 6 feet, 20 feet from shore) at most spots, and hard to find eddies. What should I be looking for, and am I using the right fishing method?

If you want deep water look for bends in the river. Sharper the bend deeper the water usually. If you want to target cats, cut sucker would be a good choice for channel cats and maybe an occasional flathead. Large live baits like sucker, bullheads, and creek chub are good for the flats. I use 2-4 oz. bank and no-roll sinkers. For hooks I would go with gamakatsu octopus and octopus circles. Check out Moore's Bait and tackle in MPLS, they carry everything a river fisherman needs.

If your lookin' for some good catch and release action, head down to Jordan. Anywhere between the access and the sandy point to your west will yield dozens of carp, gar, cats, and drum (sheephead). Me and a buddy camp right on the river the morning (5:00-7:30) and the nights (8:00-9:45) are the best, but you shouldn't have to wait 15 minutes between hits anytime of the day.