Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Steamboat or Kabekona

6 posts in this topic

I plan on going camping in the area next month, I might be able to fish both lakes, but if I had to choose only 1 to fish, which would it be?

Hey JB,

My family and I have fished Lake Kabekona for almost 20 years now and with the cycle of walleyes constantly fluctuating, it can be a hit or miss endeavor. But not now! Walleye fishing is hot on Kabekona and will be for the next few years. Troll the deep drops with cranks and crawler harnesses and in summer target suspended "hog" eyes over deep water with cranks and harnesses. You can expect 24-30" fish on a regular basis with some practice as well as quite a few in the 17-23" range as well. Deep and clear. Choose your tackle accordingly and depending on wind and weather be ready to fish at night!

Good luck, Blackbird

24-30" fish regularly? Im cancelling my trips to Ontario and Mille Lacs grin.gif

I've been fishing Kabekona for over 30 years, we have a cabin there. The fishing has been better than usual but "hot" would be an overstatement. The previous poster had a good time up there, and it is true that larger fish can be caught. There is a slot 18-26 must go back, limit of four and I have not caught more than two fish a day on the lake all year and I've fished it a lot. I'd go to Steamboat, all the walleyes are over 29" and there are 15" crappies easy to catch!!!

My cousin was fishing this lake two nights ago, and had 6 fish between 3:30 pm and 6:30pm, one 26" and it only gets better later in the day unless there is serious "chop". Four member's of my family have 30"+ fish from this lake including my wife's 32 1/2" from three years ago. I would like to fish steamboat though if all the eyes are over 29.

Good luck all. I'm hoping to get up here in october for some super slobs!

Blackbird

I have a tough decision to make and I only have 1 month to make it. I'm gonna be camping in the area regardless of where I decide to fish though.