Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trojan

Fishing at Winnie, Portage

3 posts in this topic

We are staying at Iowana resort on portage lake 6/30-7/8. We need any advise for portage or winnie. We have are own boat so we can hit Winnie or Leech also. We have never been to this area. Any advise would be well appreciated, We are 100% norwegian so we need a lot of help. hope the Walleyes are still biting. Any certain methods work better for walleyes?

Trojan- I will be at Williams Narrows on Cutfoot Sioux the same week. I don't fish Winnie a lot because I like Cutfoot so much and I'm not much of a big water guy, but I would say focus on the humps and bars for walleyes. I would pull live bait rigs, with 6-8 foot snells, a red bead and red hook with a leech. Good luck to you.

We are located on the east side of Winnie and usually have good fishing action right out front and on the humps to the northwest of us. We charge a $10 access fee and provide dock assistance and secured parking. If you are accessing on the south end of the lake you may want to try "Richards Townside" which is a public access and will be relatively close to Highway 2. A few tips would be....grab the gps and a good lake map of Winnie. When the water temps start to warm up at this time of the year, the walleyes head for deeper water. The shoreline bite tapers and they like to sit on the humps. Usually the best is a slow drift using crawlers. Some like to pull leeches also. Typically morning or early evening bite is the strongest. On Portage lake you'll likely get in to some nice panfish. Enjoy your stay in the area!!