Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyebjim

Big sandy?

8 posts in this topic

I'm heading up to Big Sandy this weekend and was wondering if anyone has been having any luck with the eyes. If so whats been working. Have they started keying on crayfish yet?

Thanks for any info.

Jim

I was up this last weekend and the mayfly hatch was going on strong. We caught a few Walleyes, but mostly really small ones. Hopefully the hatch will be done by this next weekend cuz I'll be back again for more.

I heard the eyes are on the bite in the cabbage along with the crappies...........

90% of the BSL eyes are under 14",but the slabs are a different story if you can find them in the summer.

Ill be out there tomorrow for a family gathering. I may get out for a bit and see if I remember how to fish the lake.

Crappies are biting? I'll tell you this I've fished the lake for 25 years now and I've only caught one crappie on BSL. I think i'd have a better chance in seeing bigfoot than catching another crappie on that lake.

Being out fished by a darn crappie, pretty sad! smirk.gif Any help locating them or tip from you guys would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just keep my eyes open for bigfoot.

Thank!

The lake thermoclines, which pushes the crappies (and they are pretty nice) into the weeds. A maribou jig tipped with a minnow can be deadly. A friend of mine has been catching them on a regular basis this past week. I will add that he is an excellent jig fisherman!

Great info! Do you know how deap and how far down in the water column the fish usually holds?