Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fivebucks

1983 35 hp evinrude overheat

7 posts in this topic

I just bought this motor and when I bought it the tell tale was not very strong. I cleaned out the hose and it was a bit clogged - problem solved or so I thought. Guy I bought it from said he just replaced impeller. Now 1 1/2 weeks later I finally get it to the cabin and on the boat and kind of forget the water stream problem. I go a couple hundred yards and remember and it was not streaming but a few hot drops. More water was coming out the exhaust in the back. It was putting out a little blue (not oil type)smoke and then killed. I did not attempt a restart. Is a motor shuting off a safety feature on these motors to prevent overheating or did I just fry the motor? Anyhow, I am thinking the water pump might just be shot. How does one test the pump? I plan to get a manual and start taking off the lower unit etc. in the next few days and any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

There is no way to test the pump, I would just replace the impeller and be sure all the water passages are clean.

The guy said he replaced it.... ? I can tell you my uncle was Elvis.... wink.gif

It's always a good procedure to replace/service water pump when buying a used motor.

Thanks Valv. This motor is for an old 1960 Starcraft I bought from you a few years back. You don't think I fried the motor do you? I will replace all that stuff this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks.

I don't think you fried it, they are tougher than thought, but a compression test will reveal truth before you spend money on it

Compression tested out at 140 on each but this was coming from Elvis also shocked.gif The few hundred yards it ran, it ran strong and good though.

Quote:

Compression tested out at 140 on each but this was coming from Elvis also

LMAO !!!

That was funny, anyway if you want or can stop over I'll be glad to check it for you.

Thanks for the offer Val but I have a friend near my house that has the tools I can borrow for short periods of time.