Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steamroller

Stalker Lake

20 posts in this topic

I have recently moved into the Dalton area and am wondering if anyone has any hints for Stalker Lake? I am having a difficult time finding any Walleyes. Thanks for any help.

This may sound odd but last summer on stalker, on a bright clear day, we started trolling cranks in the middle of the afternoon next to and on top of the weedlines. Ended up leaving with 8 nice walleyes. We tried every live bait presentation but could not keep the bass and panfish off long enough for a walleye to find the bait.

Are you kidding me!? Stalker is more or less a Dead Zone most of the time. We watched a dozen boats wander around last week-end, all trying to find ANYTHING to catch. They all finally left...at the SAME time.And since the access is about the size of a postage stamp, you can imagine what happens when more than three trucks try to get into it at the same time.

The lake WAS stocked last year. This year the fish are about FIVE INCHES long.

Have a blast fellas! grin.gif

We used to fish it consistantly when I was a little guy. Always did decent back then. Last summer was my first expedition back there in many years, we trolled lindy's, spinners, floater heads, jig and a minnow....everthing and only panfish. It wasnt until I just tied on a shad rap out of sheer boredness and kicked the motor in gear that we started catching fish. Most of the fish were 17-20 inches, with one a little over 22 that was put back, as well as the 20 inchers. I believe we left with 8 under 19 inches. There was three guys in the boat, but it seemed a perch colored #7 shad caught the most fish. Trolling along the weeds and weedlines produced them all. I was as surprised as you, defnitely goes to prove sometimes you have to think "outside the box" so to speak in the middle of summer.

Holy Moly Oly....I'm headin' out tonight! Interesting and totally different than the reports you get at the access and from watching the guys. Thanks. grin.gif

Ufatz, any luck last night?

Ya I want to know to.

No luck. A lot of weeds. Couple Esox Lucius.More weeds. Clump of mud and old stick. More weeds. Nodded off a couple times and headed for the dock. Walleyes in Stalker are a myth. Even went to the legendary Birdhouse Point. No birds, no house and no walleyes either.

Somebodies just jerkin' my chain and its not nice to be mean to old guys. We CAN get rather nasty. grin.gif

Ufatz, I wouldnt jerk your chain! It could have just been a fluke like I said but it really happened. There has still got to be some fish in there, its just a matter of stumbling on to them, did you try going to a shallower running crank when you were running into all of those weeds? What time of day did you try?

Well I will say this my lake is conected to stalker we used to have lots of walleyes the got all fished out and the DNR stoped stocking them seeing we don't have a public accsess. I cought my first walleye in 10 to 15 years last year it was about 26 inches and the year before that a guy cought a 8lb one ice fishing point of the story they are in there they are just hidding.

I have known CHUCKSTER for a long time and he is known for a few fisherman's tales...those walleyes were actually hammer handles and you know the rest how stories get twisted. grin.gif

Wow! This is coming from a guy who intentionally goes fishing for those hammerhandles on a regular basis!

Grandad -

It the dam still between your lake and Stalker?

ya last time I made it down there. Its on the other side off the island. And all my fishing spots are on my side, But anyway last year it was still there. Am going up there this week end do you need you to check on it or anything for you.

Quote:

A huge Walleye thrashed around so hard last night it tossed my gaff hook into the bow mount Lowrance 125X. Screen cracked. Is there a quick repair procedure here or do I just call Lowrance for return authorization? Is it worth repairing or should I just toss it. Its good enough for my needs when its working.

I don't know Ufatz...you posted this morning you tried Stalker without success and now your saying you caught "a huge walleye...last night" in another thread? Spill the beans! You found em, didn't you. smirk.gifgrin.gif

What's with the gaff hook? grin.gif

Uh oh! Maybe he meant to say rock bass?

If was a rock bass, he must have been fishing with Da Ranger grin.gif

Oooooffff!!!!! grin.gif

Maybe it was mistaken for a 21" rocko? They are fiesty!! grin.gif

Okay you guys, I confess. It was a large Carpo....the kind that give you Carpo Tussle Syndrom. Tried for walleyes again today and same old story. Gonna git me some leeches pretty soon. It was so dead out these today I caught ONE little bass about the size of a double martini. No other hits. No follows. No swirls or hungry looks. I'm tellin you guys it is DEAD out there.

Fortunately I am primarily a bass fishing guy so I can wait for things to get good. I'm pretty sure there are still a couple of THOSE in the lake.

Maybe I'll learn the secrets at the big Stalker Lake Association meetin' coming up. grin.gif