• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sun burn help

ortonville

i was out fishing today.i took off my shirt for about 30 min.i had spf 15 sun screen on. i dont know if it was old or what but it didnt work.i have been putting aloe cream on it.it has blistered and hurts like he**. how lomg will it take to get better? and does any one have any home remidies that would speed the healing?

Quote:

i was out fishing today.i took off my shirt for about 30 min.i had spf 15 sun screen on. i dont know if it was old or what but it didnt work.i have been putting aloe cream on it.it has blistered and hurts like he**. how lomg will it take to get better? and does any one have any home remidies that would speed the healing?

coacoa (coco) butter. Lots and lots of it. Pure aloe from the plant is best if you have one or know someone who does.

And may I give you one more hint over fishbreaths hints. Don't do that again smile.gif. Been there and did that many times when I would just get out of school and go to work outside.Oh the pain but I would do it again the next year. It will be a couple days before you start not to fell it as bad.

I don't know if you'll want to do this cause it really hurts. But this is what i do. Take the hottest bath you can stand and lay in it for at least 15 minutes. What happens is the heat from the water sucks out the heat from the burn. Do this a couple three times in the next day or two and it should start to feel better. That is a trick my wife learned when she went to hair school. then apply your lotion.

I was going to suggest a cold bath to soak and take away some of the heat. Not sure which will work better, but the cold one will definately feel better.

Vinager, dab it on with a damp cloth. I don't know why it works but man does it feel good. Ya stink a little but who cares when your skin is on fire.

Basic first aid , do not add heat to a burn . Sun burn is exactly that - a burn . You want to cool a burn not continue to burn it . You also probably don't want to add any oil to a burn , oils retain heat ( thats why they are used for cooking ) . You can get a suggestion from your local pharmacist for a topical ointment with a silver nitrate or some thing for burns . And might I suggest a better sunscreen , I have heard you should use a SPF 45 or better .

A few years ago, I had a product called dermoplast recommended to me from a pharmisist. Just spray it on and it take the sting away. It really is the cat's meow. Good Luck.

I use an Aloe gel with Lidocaine. It's called Solarcaine. 4oz bottle of a translucent green gel. Works pretty good. You can get it over the counter.

Quote:

Take the hottest bath you can stand and lay in it for at least 15 minutes. What happens is the heat from the water sucks out the heat from the burn. Do this a couple three times in the next day or two and it should start to feel better.

Chances are it will start to feel better in a two days whether you do this or not so why would you subject yourself to all of that extra pain. I can't see how heat would draw out heat? Doesn't make much sense.

You are proably better served to call your DR. and see what they recommend, they might even be able to give a perscription for it.

But if you want just over the counter remedies then I would second the Dermoplast suggestion. Spary on stuff is always better beucase you don't need to touch the burn.

Quote:

I don't know if you'll want to do this cause it really hurts. But this is what i do. Take the hottest bath you can stand and lay in it for at least 15 minutes. What happens is the heat from the water sucks out the heat from the burn. Do this a couple three times in the next day or two and it should start to feel better. That is a trick my wife learned when she went to hair school. then apply your lotion.

^^^^^

I totally give this the big thumbs down...

If your skin is blistering the LAST thing you want is to soak it in the bathtub with any kind of water...

This blistering means that these are essentially wounds, and the damage to the skin means that the Langerhans (sp?) cells, which help handle the immune system of the skin are damaged...

Soaking them in warm water allows bacteria migrating through the water from other regioins of the Body (Such as the sweat in your butt crack!) to give you a nice skin infection.

Not to mention that Hot Water is one of the worst heat sinks to remove heat from the human body.

In general when it comes to your body... It was designed that Pain is the body's way of telling you "Don't do that!"

The best sun burn treatment is going to be that Aloe with Lidocain, and time...

I NEVER use SPF 15... At least not in Summer... SPF 30... Heck these days I'm putting SPF 50 on things like the top of my head, nose, top of ears etc... And then 30 every where else.

What I've done is take a bath towel get it wet with COOL water not warm and not ice cold. I will lay on the floor or on the couch and drape this towel on my back and shoulders if this is where I'm burned. It feels cold initially but once its in places feels great and it soothes the pain I also have never peeled after doing this. NOTE: you don't want the towel dripping wet. solarcane, vinegar bath both work also.

The vinegar feel nice, I like to take cold towels with vingar on them to cool it down and then a bit of noxema. If you have large blisters you may want to seek medical treatment. In the future keep your shirt on. There are a bunch of great lightweight fishing shirts, pants, and shorts on the market - use them, wear a wide brim hat, and have plenty of sun screen.

I used to do quite a bit of sailing on big water and we would really get burned. What we used was white vinegar to take the sting out, and then aloe... You will smell like a pickle but it works... grin.gif If it is really bad I suggest consulting a doctor.

Lynn

Once you get a sunburn the dammage is done. You need to focus on pain relief and skin repair/healing. Aloevera gel with lidocaine would be my first choice, and dermoplast or solarcaine are also good. You can also use these with an oral pain reliever like Ibuprofen. I also like the earlier idea of protecting the skin from future burns with sunblock of at least spf 30.

This sounds as crazy as vinegar (which works) but wet some tea bags and rub them on the burned areas - there is some kind of reaction with the tanic acide in the tea which pulls the heat right out of the burn. Works every time and you don't smell like a salad....

Daze Off

thanks for all the help.i tried vinegar and i now have a can of solarcaine.i maybe should have went to the doctor but iam to bullheaded.you can bet i will now have a bottle of spf 50 in the boat from now on.now i have to just wait for it to heal.how long does it take?

You might try treating your sunburn from the inside ... with something like ..... Miller. grin.gif

Quote:

Basic first aid , do not add heat to a burn . Sun burn is exactly that - a burn . You want to cool a burn not continue to burn it . You also probably don't want to add any oil to a burn , oils retain heat ( thats why they are used for cooking ) . You can get a suggestion from your local pharmacist for a topical ointment with a silver nitrate or some thing for burns . And might I suggest a better sunscreen , I have heard you should use a SPF 45 or better .

Oils are used for cooking because they don't evaporate at low temperatures like water does. Oils cool off faster than water in almost all cases. Water has a high heat capacity that exceeds that of oils.

I use pure aloe. Whatever you use time will be the main factor. Should stop stinging in about 3 days. Peel in a week.

So your saying that if we both stick our hand in a fire and burn them and you'll stick your hand in oil and I'll stick my hand in water then your hand will cool off faster than mine ? You go first .

One other thing . Water has a heat capacity of 212 degrees , thats it , then it turns to gas . Where I work we have oil thats heated to 480 degrees with no physical change , big difference .

I'll second the Noxema... being extremely fair-skinned, I use at least spf30. Still, I do burn here & there, just not as bad as 15 or none. 50 works pretty well if it's an all day thing.

When I was younger I got so bad that I got sun poisoning, and my Dr. said to use Noxema on the burns. He said something about it helping your skin to heal faster, because it cools and moisturizes your skin at the same time. It should help you out a lot!

thanks alot i think i will swing by the drug store and buy some moxema after work

Noxema works well. So do some of the Aloe gels like Banana Boat. I usually take some Ibuprofen for the pain. That works well. Another good measure is to drink a little more than usual. Get some more fluid in to replace what is being lost to the burn and blistering.

Most suntan lotions need to be applied 30 minutes before going into the sun. As soon as you realize you are burning, get some lotion on any kind and get out of the sun. Use generous amounts. Your still going to peel but maybe not as bad. Take it from a guy who is pholicly challenged.

Just to let you all know, Spf's over 30 are mostly a waste of money for the spf. According to the FDA 87% of UV rays are blocked at spf 15, 97% at spf 30.