Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jarrod32

Outboard won't stay running

6 posts in this topic

I can start it up in my driveway (with the hose hooked up), and it runs fine. I can start it at launch, and go across the lake, just fine.

But just try to restart it and keep it running...it just won't start up or stay running. Eventually, I can get it going...and if I can get it going, I can keep it running...at least until I have to start it again. But something isn't right.

When it happens, the bulb in the fuel line goes flat...am I not getting enough fuel through for some reason?

My initial reaction is to try a new/different fuel line between the tank and the motor, to see if that is the problem.

Any other experiences or suggestions to help me out? Thanks in advance...

first thing I would do is change the bulb.. its the easiest fix.

If that didn't work I woul dhave to ask questions.. DO you have a permanent fule tank build intothe boat or one of them 6 gal movable ones?... If its a perm mount, you may have a failure in your anti siphen valve. It may be stuck and not allowing gas through.

#3, may be a fuel pump?

My boat, will do this if its really hot, I think my prblem is when its really hot(90 + and sunny) the anti siphen valve will stick.. but my problem is boat will start great, and will then run out of gas part way across the lake.

1st check to be sure that the fuel is traveling in the right direction, 2nd check to be sure the tank is vented, 3rd be sure that the checkball is not getting sucked in and closing off the fuel supply.

Sounds like your motor is flooding. I dont know why but that is what it sounds like. To support that theory your primer bulb is sucking dry. I would start at the fuel pump and rebuild it. Then I would replace the fuel bulb. Things to check first are is there any water inside the cowling? Do you choke the motor to restart when you stop it to fish? How many turns out from fully clockwise is the mixture screw?

It is one of the six-gallon detached models. I checked the venting and made sure the hose/line wasn't piched anywhere. It does seem like it is flooding...

That is where I was going to start...with a new bulb (probably the whole line)...try the cheapest fix first and hope it works...

I don't think it would the fuel pump...it would seem that that would be more consistently not working...maybe a fuel filter issue? We'll see if the new fuel line works...

I agree with eurolarva - sounds like a weak fuel pump problem to me, presuming you've checked all the easy things like the fuel hose hooked up in the right direction, etc.

When you have problems getting it running do you get the primer bulb refilled? If so, then what happens?

marine_man