Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoy18

Mountain Lake Help

5 posts in this topic

Hi, does anyone have a few pointers/tips for Mountain Lake? I am looking for help with the campsites and "general" fishing spots/depths.

Are any of the sites better than the rest? What about the East or West side of the lake for fishing? I have read some past laker tips and I feel up to speed with the methods...Are there any specific presentations that work best during the first week of August? We will be using electronics to locate the fish too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Email me and I will put you in touch with a guy who grew up fishing on that lake. Worked for DNR fisheries and knows the area well. Has a cabin on clearwater.

harleyman1975@yahoo.com

Rick

I'll be there in August as well. Can anyone shed any public information on Mountain Lake?

Went up there a few years ago and spent most of our time catching really nice smallies in Watap, which is just one level portage away on the western end. Check it out if you're into good smallmouth fishing.

For campsites, head to the far eastern end of the lake...the last campsite on the southern side of the portage is the best one on the lake. It is very spacious and has a beautiful rockslide and overlooking cliff above it. As far as fishing, the lake is loaded with smallmouths. Pemmican lake below it is only accesible from Mountain and is packed full of trout, but good luck getting your canoe in there. You'd really need a float tube. Mountain is very deep (180ft. in spots), so there must be lake trout, but we didn't catch any. Email me at acoppernoll@apollomtg.com and I'll put you on a daytrip for all the walleye you can eat. Forgive me for not posting it, but I don't want the world to know.