Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huskie

Island Lake

15 posts in this topic

How has the fishing been on Island so far this summer? The forum has been pretty quiet on the slot. How has it been working out? May give it a try and find my old spots that I used to fish years ago if the Winnie winds start to blow.

Have not been there, but heading there tonight and fishing for 3 days at mom and dad's! I will post results! grin.gif

I fished there opening weekend with my wife, caught over 30 eyes on sat mostly to big, caught none we could keep, fished memorial weekend caught lots again, all to big, wife and I just got back from ten days there and caught lots and lots of eyes, only two we could keep, a few small ones but maining all in the 19 to 23' area, lots of northerns, fun to catch and eventually, hope I live long enought, these big ones will produce and we will get some we can keep, I like the slot idea but think they should fine tune it more, maybe reduce limit to four and let you keep two in the 17 to 20 inch range, I do not know and just thinking to myself about this, by the way leeches on a jig worked best for us

Ditto on the big eye's caught 5 today 20-22 inches. Nice to see them again! grin.gif Jig, leech, and slip bobber was the ticket today. Did get a couple cranking also!

Was nice to fish the home lake again with dad, and spend some quality time on the lake!

Great to hear that the big eye's are doing well on Island again. Hopefully most are large females that in time will produce consistant year classes of keepers for the table. The folks that bought our place on the SE side are visiting my folks in Duluth this week end and it will be interesting to get their take on the slot. I know it can make it tough releasing the17-20 inch fish, that happened a lot to us on Winnie when the slot was introduced too. A lot of people do like the 4 fish limit, allowing a bit larger fish to be harvested. I'm wondering how far away we are to different regs on each different lake, fishing handbook will be twice as big. Good luck on the water guys.

Here is what is in Island! grin.gif

[image]JuneFishing07009.jpg[/image]

JuneFishing07003.jpg

[image]http://JuneFishing07015.jpg[/image]

Nice fish Woodman. We just got back from a week there about a week ago and had good luck also. Over the week we caught a fair amount of eyes and everyone, except one 11", was in the protected slot. I am glad I know how to fillet out the "Y" bones in northerns for a couple meals of fresh fish. Let's hope for some good natural reproduction over the next several years and we'll be having some fun then grin.gif

Good work Woodman, reminds me of the good ol days on Island, however I can't remember catching many bass, only 1 in all of the years we were there. I used to see them by the outlet of the Popple river. Rock bass were plentiful as were large crappies and northerns but the walleye's thats what everyone loved to catch.

I agree, give it a couple of years and it will be back in the direction it used to be at! I love the slot, it is turning the lake around. grin.gif

Have a safe and happy 4th!

Good pictures. Fishing on Island has been pounded in the past. Boats lined up to the highway. I guess the good news to me is there are no eaters. And the big girls will hopefully, maybe, someday spawn.

I personally don't want to pump this fishery up. It's been really slow, now picking up a little, but gosh folks - let's not get carried away. There's a dozen lakes out producing Island - send folks there. And maybe let things catch up before calling out the hounds?

Shhhh!

Craig

Craig- I agree totally about letting it build for a couple of years. My parents have been out and have not yet caught a fish out of the slot. I will take my parents to another lake to catch some so they can have a meal. It is nice to see the walleye again in Island and I believe in a couple of years they will start to rebound again! grin.gif

Craig needs to chill a little, it will take a while to get the lake on page 1 for most of us, just nice to see that it is on the rebound so the locals can have some fun.

I was just curious if anybody has been out on Island as of late for walleyes and if they had any luck?

Thanks

Island has slowed down typicaly again this time of yr, I have noticed a few boats out this weekend and they seemed to be on some of the deeper sand bars and have stayed on them for a time so they may be picking up a few. suprizingly the water seems to be alot clearer this yr. even with it being so low. Its nice to see that there is an interest in helping the rejuvenation of Island. Sadly to say tho that the crappies were hit bad just before iceout one weekend this spring, seems a group of about 6-8 houses spent thurs. eve.to sunday on the west end of the island, left a mess for a couple of the locals to clean up! tried marking a fish for a couple days--gone! so guess we will have to wait again for the crappies a few more yrs.a couple of old time locals found out who turned them on to the (HOT SPOT) (New resident) he got a few --- chewings Im told. so the residents and lake association do watch things here. so please remember there is the slot limit here again and good luck!

I wish I would have not read about the crappies in Island lake. I used to go there growing up and having a ball. It is amazing how they can get fished out, and spoil it for some of us who have been there for a long time! frown.gif

I checked that spot out when I was up there and remembered the good times I had growing up out there with family and friends. Good luck this fall!