• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Saturday calm lake eyes

tonkapat

got fishing by 5:00 am, first couple hours was on fire until the wave of tournament boats came and filled up the flats. 3 guys about 40 fish for the day. 9 keepers couple 27's a 28 and many 22-25's. was on top of the fish all day, some spots they were hammering it and others not touching anything. keep on the move until u find the active fish.

good luck

I was also up there on Sat. on the flats. Only managed 5 fish all well into the protected slot. We were using different length snells, (the shortest being 6', the longest about 10') with a colored hook, (red or green) tipped with either the leach or crawler. Speed less than 1MPH. What were we doing wrong?

Quote:

Speed less than 1MPH. What were we doing wrong?

Usually this time of year I go faster than that (try 1.0-1.5 mph) with spinners...after finding a pod of aggressive/active fish, I will start varying my speed to see if slower/faster is better...maybe do some start/stop tactics or turns or whatever. Even throw out a lindy rig if you're in a tight pod that likes slow moving baits...But the key is first finding those active fish. Did you try faster spinner presentations at all or stick to the slower lindy riggin the whole time?

Were you noticing a pattern of depth/color/speed when you did catch fish? Did you mark fish near all/most of the ones you caught or were they very spread out and just 'random'? Were you trying different depths?

yes at least 1 mph and any color spinner worked so long as it was gold. Tried at least a dozen spinner colors and they kept hitting the gold one.

Big Wade and I hit the pond for our first time ever on Saturday. Got there at 6 but didn't start fishing until almost 8 cause we had no clue where we were going. We managed a 26", 24", 20.5" and a 14.75". Good day fishing for our first ever outing. All caught with leeches on long snells and just drifting with a sock.

Quote:

Were you noticing a pattern of depth/color/speed when you did catch fish? Did you mark fish near all/most of the ones you caught or were they very spread out and just 'random'? Were you trying different depths?

We started not using a drift sock, and were staying about 1mph or alittle faster, but we seemed to be moving faster than everone else that were catching fish. Depth didn't seem to matter, as a matter of fact, everyone seemed to be up on top of the flats early in the morning, and as the day progressed, everone seemed to spread out, on top of the flats, on the breaks, and even in the deep water surrounding the flats. All of our fish seemed to be random. 3 of the fish came on crawlers, the other 2 on leaches. I guess we should have tried spinners and a little more speed.

Thanks for the help.

we ran from the top edge to past the bottom edge. Some flats had a ton of fish that just wouldn't go for us. When we found fish that would bite (sometimes just a couple hundred yard stretch) we would catch them one after another.

I don't use bottom bouncers, 1 of the guys did and caught two fish all day. my bait was 2 to 5 feet of the bottom for all of my fish. Cover water until you find the fish that are going and keep on them.

good luck