Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SledNeck

Bass report Boy Bay (1st time on Leech)

3 posts in this topic

Well, fished leech for the first time ever today. Didnt know where to go besides, Boy Bay and didnt know what quite to use.

Holy crap this is a hard lake to fish with the weeds the way they are....Up north we have weedline edges and rock points.....down south on Leech there is total slopped over BAYS!!...We'll me and my 9 year old managed to boat about 20 or so bass and 12 pike. I lost 2 pike in the area of 10 lbs. One slipped off the trailer hook on a buzzbait and the other let off near the boat. Overall size of the bass was small with the biggest being 18" and a few that got off might have went 4LBs. Pike dominated the bites on 90% of the bay, but man, we hit a certain spot and it was all bass....hits on every cast for about 30 minutes....caught most of the fish on a spinner bait. Seems like the fish didnt really want topwater. I wish I could go with someone who knows the lake one time. Thats all it would take. If I can go there and have this kind of action my first time, I could really do damage with some knowlege of the lake.

Funny thing about the place where we hammered the bass..a Ranger boat was parked there for 20 minutes and didnt look like they caught anything and we went in after they left and just hammered em. We fished for about 5 hours total all day.

Got alot of stuff I didnt know out of the way so next time hopefully it will be easier to get down to business.

It’s good to hear such a successful report, especially for your first time on the lake. Boy Bay is one of the weediest on Leech. There are other bays accessible from public launches that can provide some variety, but if Bass is your target, Boy Bay is a good choice.

Steamboat Bay is another with lots of weeds and rice and holds plenty of Bass and Northern. Most of the other bays have portions with weeds, but I am not sure I would describe it as slop, although, there are spots.

The size of Leech makes it difficult to take advantage of the diverse structure and species of game fish available. There are some very good Leech Lake maps on MMC cards. Knowing the available topographical contours can help to narrow down the hunt. The bite on Leech is typically wind driven. Be sure to watch the weather for the three or four days before you come down, it will help you narrow the search.

Have you considered hiring a guide for a day? The guide can show you the most productive areas on the lake for your targeted species. I have fished the lake for 35 years and still hire a guide on occasion. Conditions are constantly changing and a guide is on the water every day.

Thanks again for your report.

Never hired a guide in my life, but it sounds like a good idea. For me 90% of the satisfaction of fishing is finding places myself and hammering the fish. Maybe I'll try steamboat bay next time.