Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jefdig

Get any info about deer lake?

14 posts in this topic

I would like some info about deer lake if I could get some. Is there panfish, crappies, or any spots for walleyes? I'm heading up there for the first time July 4th and would like some info about the lake. Heard it also has muskies, would you suggest trying that? I mainly would like to catch panfish with the kids, so if I could get some pointers, I'd appreciate it.Thanks

Are you referring to Deer Lake near Effie or Grand Rapids? If you are referring to Effie, I returned from there yesterday. It is not known for great panfish, but we did well this year . It has a possession limit of 10, which is a little hard to live with since it is about the only fish we don't C&R. Connecting lakes are known for panfish. Crappie have been tough for over 15 years. Deer is better known for Walleye. Follow the boats.

Somebody else can probably help if you are talking about Deer by GR.

Deer Lake by GR is a Walleye,Muskie and Smallmouth lake. There are some crappie and sunfish but I don't think there is enough to keep the kids intrested but if it just catching that they want there is always the Rock Bass which the lake has good numbers if you get on a shallow rock bar. If it your first time on the lake make sure you have a map with you so you will know where the rock bars are so you don't take out your lower unit. I have seen it happen twice in the past 10 years.

Deer Lake by Grand Rapids. Thanks for the help Spinner1 and Jimalm, I appreciate the info. Are the real shallow rock piles marked with buoys? Not much for panfish though huh? That's ok, rock bass can keep the kids entertained. I'm more for the walleyes and is there any pointers there where to start, structure, or depth around the 4th of july time or what is a good bait or technique that time of year. Thanks and I'll post my success after my return.

I do the best on Deer after dark trolling crankbaits for walleyes. I've never had luck out there during the day for them, but hear about people who do. As for panfish in the area, you may want to try Little Moose for crappies and gills. I have caught some decent gills on Deer on the flyrod, but the rockbass won't leave you alone very long. Cottonwood, north of Moose might be an option for panfish as well.

Brian

We have had luck on the Deer by Grand Rapids doing the following:

-Lighted bobbers at night on any of the sunken islands for walleyes

-Trolling big minnows along weed lines for bass during the day

-Rock bass during the day on various rock piles

We always see people fishing muskies but have not fished them.

We have managed to find some sunnies too but nothing to write home about.

There are a lot of places that get shallow and are rocky. They are not marked. I am sure many people lose a lower unit each year.

If you go out at night make sure you do a dry run during the day so you know what to expect.

Thanks bmc and Wayne123 for the tips. I appreciate it. Is Little Moose far away bmc and where or general techniques for crappies on Little Moose work best? Thanks, Jeff

Little moose is just across the road. It's a weededge lake. Just troll the outside of the weeds and you should catch a little of everything.

Bass fishing was unreal over the 4th of July through the weekend!! Caught them nonstop!! What great action!!!

What depths, lures, and time of day were working? Also lariges, smallies, or both?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian The wife and had a good time with the smallies while walleye fishing with leechs in 16-20 fow. The biggest was around 3 with a lot of 2 pounders.The weedy spots seem to produce more then the sandy rocky spots.

Thanks Jim. If this weather would ever straighten out, I'll have to get out there and try some drop shot fishing for bass.

Brian

BMC, we had luck everywhere and all times of the day, it was unreal.I went up there with my girlfriend and friends who go often, but since it was my first time in 5 years, my girlfriend and I fished almost all the time as that's what we went for. The best bait was plain hooks with leeches. Either casting in along weedlines or drifting along the weedlines which had dropoffs, semmed to be no certain depth as we caught them from 6ft to 15 ft. We are planning on going again Aug 3-6 as it was so much fun. One good spot was on the NE end where theres a weedpoint with a good dropoff. We'd start at the weeds and drift out over the dropoff and catch them from 6ft to 16ft. Another good spot we hit during 11-3 was where there's a swimming beach on the North shore(looks like a public swim area) and we drifted along the weedline in 6 to 12fow. Also there's a sunken grass island with steep dropoffs in the middle of the lake before Battleship Island and NE of the public access which we drifted over and had great luck, my buddy got a 5lb smallmouth 22 inches long. Leave the public access and the 2nd point on the right we had good success too where there's a weedline. Most of our fish were smallmouths. It seemed everywhere we went we had fish but these spots were the best. We also had better luck with largemouths down by a bible camp drifting and casting along the weedlines, but aslo hit alot of rockbass down there. I've never had 4 days of so much fun catching bass. They were everywhere it seemed along the weeds mostly 6-15 ft and our main bait was plain hooks with leeches. We tried fishing walleyes in the evenings along the drops, but still caught the bass with just a couple of small walleyes, although we had a nice one(probably over 5lbs) roll off at the boat along the NE shore weedpoint which sticks out the farthest. I can't wait to go again!! Let me know how you do!! The lake is bigger than I thought, we didn't get to fish it all, but the spots we hit, we had fish!! Good luck!! Sorry I didn't respond earlier, been busy and didn't think anyone would respond as I'm new to this but I will let you know how we do Aug 3-6. Is there any sunfish or crappies to be found on the lake? We caught just a few sunnies but seemed the bass hit the leeches first and never caught a crappie.

Was fishing 8-3 thru 8-6 on Deer by GR and the smallmouth and large mouth bass fishing was great. Caught alot of 2lbs and a few over 3lbs. They seemed to be along the weeds any where from 6ft to 16ft. What great action they supplied! In the weeds we caught a few sunnies, but the rock bass were nonstop. It was a great trip to Deer again!!