• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Daughters first rifle

KOTTKE

My oldest daughter will be joining me on her first deer hunt this year in northen MN. Just looking for some input for a first gun. I have been hearing about a new load for the .270 called a low recoil shell. Anyone have any experience with these?? Looking at a Browning BAR in the .270, this gun seems to fit her good but am concerened about recoil.

I shoot a .270 but have not tried the low recoil loads. My brother and I started out hunting with .243's and .257's. They are very comfortable to shoot. Just have to be a little careful with shot placement.

Remington Model 7 youth & ladies edition, 7mm/08. The one I bought for my wife is a tack driver, low recoil and an excellent gun to carry in the brush when she is back in town. Or Browning Micro Medallion is a very nice rifle too..

I would agree with the 243 and the 257. The others will probably work but the first two will take down deer without turning her away from rifle hunting.

the low recoil or managed recoil loads as they call them are generally not to be shot out of autoloader rifles. At least the last I saw that was the story... That would leave you with a bolt gun for the .270 if you want to shoot the lower recoil loads.

I agree with others, the .243 is a viable whitetail gun for sure. I'm also very fond of the 25-06. I really want one of them...

My daughter, who is 12, will be on her first deer hunt this year. After much homework, I ended up getting her a .243. She's still pretty small, so I didn't want to scare her off by the recoil, but yet wanted something that would still take down the animal . I found the .243 fit the bill.

One thing to keep in mind is that the recoil during the range shooting and practice shooting is "feels" much greater than the recoil during hunting. The adrenalin seems to take over and you don't feel the recoil. I would recommend a work up schedule. Have her shoot a low recoil rifle first and then have her work up towards the gun she will use during hunting. I doubt she will even notice the recoil when she is hunting. Getting her over the practice rounds will be the hardest part of the process. A .243 Roberts would be a good starting point. .257 is also a good choice.

My dad has a TC Encore rifle that my daughter has used for rifle season. It's a 25/06 caliber, but boy does it do a number on deer! We put a Simms Vibration Labs recoil pad on it and it's very comfortable for her to shoot! Whatever gun you decide on, get a Simms Vibration Lab recoil pad, you won't be sorry!

Brian

I'd second the 07-08 - I've got one in a Tikka that I love to shoot. Dependant on the type of hunting - stand vs stalk etc those BARs can get pretty heavy. I can't tell the difference in recoil between a .243 and the '08 - they both are based on the .308 catridge - just different neck sizes (.24 vs .28) you can get a bit more umph from the '08. The .308 would also be a good choice, I believe that Hornady makes some managed recoil round in the .308, and it's a cartridge that can do just about anything, and availible in the BAR.

The .270 has a bit of a sharp punch that may be a bit much for a youngster IMO. The .243 Winchester or .257 Roberts are both fine rounds, but less versatile than the .08 or .308.

If deer is the only game that she will be havesting with the rifle then the 243 will do great. Most of the guys in my hunting party shoot them and all there deer last year were bang flops. But if she will be hunting any larger game I would go with the 308, there really isn't that much recoil in a 308. My Wife is 5'2" and 120, and she really likes the 308. And she is also buying the Browning Micro, If you daughter needs a youth gun or just a gun built for smaller frames i would look into it.

• 2 weeks later...

270 is great just take it to the gunsmith for around $45 u can have a nice limb saver pad put on

I think all of the suggestions are good. I am a BIG believer in the Sims pads.(Dislocated shoulder) Problem is they lengthen the length of pull at least an inch....so make sure you get a gun with that thought in mind. I am also a believer in "Managed Recoil Loads". They really cut down the recoil. If I am hunting in dense timber, (ie: 100 yd shots or less) I still use them, as I have some left over from when I started my youngest son. When my youngest was 12 he started shooting my WBY 7MM Rem Mag with the managed recoil loads. (about 11 lbs of recoil) It didn't take long before he stepped up to full tilt loads from that gun,( 22 lbs of recoil) and in fact took that gun on our last elk hunt. He is now 14, soon to be 15, and has been bugging me for a 300 Win Mag. (he's NOT getting my pre 64 Mod. 70 in 300 Winnie!) Point of all of this is, between the Sims pad, and the Managed Recoil Loads, you can (and I think should) start kids on guns you already have and let them grow into them. If you have to buy something, I am also a big believer in the Savage bolt rifles. They are much cheaper than the Tikkas or the BAR's.

Hope this helps! And good luck whichever way you go!

Dukhntr

I shoot a Rem model 7400 in a .270 win. I have shot it every year i have deer hunted. the .270 is a great rifle, but i will admit that the first year or two sighting it in i would flinch, and i had a few problems with recoil, put a deer in front of me and i never felt a thing. now i have no problems with the recoil. I would second the recoil pad, or a smaller gun for the first couple years. i would have her shoot a couple different guns that have noticabilly different recoils and let her decide. I know there used to be a girl that hunted with us when she was in high school and was 120 lbs soken wet and she had absolutely no problems with a 30-06.

i hav 7400 in 270 i put the limb saver on it makes good brench rest gun with little kick makes it fun to shoot i had the gun smith shorting the gun to make up for the pads thickens

Just remember if your going to use a BAR you will have lower pressures and velocity then other rifles add to the fact of reduced loads your point of aim will change so if you do go that route shoot it before season to adjust the point of aim, also if your looking at more recoil management look at a decelerator pad. Similar to Simms but I have had better results with it. If it is out of your price range look at a PAST shooting pad for her shoulder smae results less cost and no gun work required just slip it on. In conclusion a Butler Creek Neopreme style sling is one of the best for hunting it aborbs shock better while carrying and allows for tighter gun control when used in off hand firing.

Just some tips from another dad going thru the whole setting up kid thing and self described gun looney.

.243 - Definately the way to go.

Low recoil - Plenty of power

Been using them from here to Wyoming with nothing but good results.

My .02