Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big musk411

Danger on the River!

19 posts in this topic

Beware the Mississippi River chomper bugs are out. We were screaming like little girls last night with these thing flying around.

newimagexl5.jpg

Holy COW!!! I would scream like Flanders too if that came into my boat or on me. Were abouts on the river and how was the bite?

later,

mr shocked.gif

Them suckers are every where, they'll knock you off your casting seat if they catch you off guard. smirk.gifsmirk.giflaugh.gif

Meat, We were Catfishing In Otsego by my house. The mayfly hatch wasn't that bad last night so the cats were hitting cut bait real good. We ended up with an honest 25 fish from 9:00 to about 11:30.

Also I chopped the head off one of those bugs last night and this morning it was still moving around, both pieces.

For I have fished the river up here in Brainerd and never come across one but if I did I might think twice about returning. I bet they can enflick some serious damage if they ever got a hold of you. Does anybody know what they are called and or does it turn into anything else???

later,

mr

i think they are called dobson flies. im not positive but pretty sure. I also think that they are a later stage of a hellgrammite. again dont quote me but i think thats what i heard

AHHHH - not those things again. I saw them for the first time 2-3 yrs ago on the sippi in the 694 area. Just fishin' for cats and this huge devil bug comes flying at my head lamp. What the heck is that? Smack that thing into the water. OK we're clear now, wait, here comes a couple more. Ahhh slam it down in the boat and it gets behind the gas tank. We're outa here!

Get the boat out and inspect devil bug. Thing has red devil eyes. Grab it by the wing and smash it with foot. Ahhh it won't die. (nobody makes me bleed my own blood it's thinking) I stomp again and again and it's still twitching. OK it's wants to play rough! Stomp and twist! There now it's devil bug mush.

I thought I saw one Sat night up in Elk Riv, but I didn't know if it was the devil bug or those mongo moths'. I had my head lamp off thank God.

Note to self: bring tennis racket to swat approaching devil bugs

Quote:

I also think that they are a later stage of a hellgrammite. again dont quote me but i think thats what i heard

thats right

Good job BK.... You are absolutely right!!! They are the later instar (metamophosed) stage of the hellgramite. They are called a dobson fly grin.gif They are actually an indicator of better water quality in the area.... Cool to see them even if they are freaky......

MNPCA Dobson Fly

BK

You ought to be making plans for some fisheries biology there kiddo.

Just wondering... To fish eat them???

Only after they've been broiled and dipped in butter tongue.gif

No doubt - Fish biologists know some really cool stuff, like names of bugs.

Rock Bass, from friday.

DSC02948c.jpg

Hope someone at the DNR is looking hard at this or we can kiss the river goodbye. frown.gif

All the rockies we caught today (one ona buzzbait to blush.gif) had that, I think its like a VD fish get from being in close quarters during the spawn, if Rockies are like the rest of the panfish they should have just got done with there spawn. Seems like the other fish Ive been catching have cleared up a bit

kinda looks like it could have gotten munched by a Catfish? I had a good sized one go after a small Bass I had on this morning, it wasn't as effective as a pike or ski though. Hopefully some sort of rockbass desease that wipes them all out.

Im scared frown.gif

Yup - all the rockies have that in the Sauk section. That's what mostly Rob caught - LOL He had the rock bass dialed in. grin.gif

And whew - it's not a devil bug. tongue.gif

I caught a big rock bass on beaver lake (kimball area) on saturday that had a similar marking on it (not as bad though), and yes, it was a nest guarder.