Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lakewood

Pike Experimental Reg on Sand/Bowstring

4 posts in this topic

OK, we are about half way thru the summer season and I am curious to peoples thoughts on the Northern Pike Experimental Regulation put in place this year on Sand and Bowstring Lakes. For those that are not familiar there is a 22" to 36" slot limit with 1 over 36" able to be kept. However, the possession limit was raised from quantity 3 to quantity 9. If you have fished these waters are you keeping the pike? Do you think it will help the lakes? If you are not keeping the pike, why? Do you have any other thoughts or ideas to a) help the lake or B) help the stunted pike population.

I talked to a few non-locals last weekend that were thrilled with the new regs. My thoughts are happy tourists are good for the local resorts. I am all for anything that will reduce the number of small snot rockets in the chain. I have even dusted off grandma's old pickled fish recipe. Try cubing the small pike and dropping them in boiling 7-Up. When they float, they're done! Salt, pepper & enjoy! Being an old walleye guy from way back, I haven't kept a slimer in years but even I do now.

I have to agree with magnum mike,I see nothing but good coming out of it.After keeping a dozen or so(3 people 6/2-6/8) & following the video on your website as to cleaning them plus cooking some up(tasty) as well as giving a few to friends.Not a bad word from anyone....it's a win,win.

We just got back this morning from our first trip to Sand Lake and we took full advantage of the new regulation ! Found out my wife loves to troll for pike, but she looked like she was going to kill me when I told her she had to throw the big ones back she caught. Eighteeen pike make for alot of meat,gonna save them I can actually say I ate too much fish while we were up there!