Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan

Almost my maiden voyage this weekend...but where to go?

12 posts in this topic

This Sunday morning I am planning on going out to a lake to do some fishing. But this will be my first launch for a day of fishing. I have only had my boat out one time on Lake Isabelle in Hastings just to see how she runs. So I am looking for a decent size lake with a decent launch for a newbie to do some fishing...

Can I get some recommendations from all you experienced folks out there. I know there is allot of experience on this forum, and pretty much every lake in the metro area has been visited.

So, I am not thinking the city lakes, but somewhere out a little. In the subs if you will. Would Marion in Lakeville be a good choice? I need some direction here, can anyone help? What other lakes would be good for a newbie, and where are they?

Thanks everyone...

Oh Yeah...and I will probably be fishing for Crappie and sunnies, as I want to do Northerns, but I am not set up for it yet..

If you go to Marion get there early Sunday morning unless you don't mind recreational boaters. There is usually a lot of water skiing and PWC traffic out there.

It's supposed to be hot and sunny on sunday, so regardless of where you go there's gonna be a crowd. I would suggest big marine lake. Lot's of nice sunnies there. Would be a good chance for you to learn the lake also, big marine is one of the better east metro pike lakes, so you'll know where to look for them when your rigged to catch them.

I would choose a medium to smaller lake. Maybe Orchard instead of Marion due to the reacreational. Make sure you get out early.

Why not try the river??

Quote:

Why not try the river??

On my first time out on a large body of water, and with the current? Nope, not ready for that yet...but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe next season... wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Why not try the river??

On my first time out on a large body of water, and with the current? Nope, not ready for that yet...but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe next season... wink.gif

Not to hijack this thread but I am interestedin trying out the river for the first time. I am in Farmington and any input/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. If you would like you can e-mail me at bradjacobson AT charter (Contact Us Please) net.

I was new to boating last year and hit the river about my fourth time out with the boat. If you go to the Croix it really isn't that bad with the current, I would just go early so you don't have to deal with the cabin cruisers as they can throw some big waves your way. Brad, best launch for the Croix for me is the Bluffs. Very nice setup.

I am thinking Orchard then. Will there be less traffic here on this lake? How is the launch? Decent for a newbie?

it's a shallow launch, unless they changed it, but it seems like most of them are. The access to the lake is EXTREMELY limited, so get there early, or you won't have a place to park. It's a neat little lake though, not really any pleasure boaters on it.

Quote:

The access to the lake is EXTREMELY limited, so get there early, or you won't have a place to park.

Wow, you can say that again. We got there about 6:45 or so, and the trailer spaces were full! That stinks....now had I had my key for the lock on my trailer, I could have disconnected the trailer and used two regular spots. But for whatever reason, I did not have the key for the lock.

i just got my first boat this year and the 3rd time i went out it was the sippi out of st. paul park at night. no big deal. if it aint windy it aint bad. but this year has seemed windier than any other i can remember.