• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Draining lakes to control weeds...

StarTribune - Weed Control

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone... While I don't think chemicals are a great answer, I also have spent some time out on these lakes and would hate to lose this fishery.

I think that draining the lake is a better and cheaper option than spraying chemicals. The only reason people are against it is because they want to see the shimmer of water out their patio door. These homeowners don't care about the fishery (if you call it that) or the ecosystem of the lake. They bought there homes where they are cause the water is there and green is good. None of them even noticed an invasive weed problem cause they don't know any better.

I've tried fishing this lake and its nothing but potato chip pannies. As far as we know this drawdown will benefit the fishery.

I just don't want to see a ton of non-selective chemicals poured into a body of water that mainly serves as a filter bed for the Nine Mile creek watershed. The draining method works well in other places. The only reason these people are mad is cause they will lose their precious association with a lake for a year.

I think its a great idea...those lakes are artificially made anyway. I read in a previous article that when the lakes refill, they are going to refill to 1.5 feet below their current pool stage. That part I don't like. It would be nice if the city brought in land moving equipment and dug out the lake basin to 20 feet deep or so. But such a thing would take money and we all know that the people of Eden Prairie can't afford such extravagance tongue.gif

ps. Mike, notice which lake they are not draining.

Powerstroke - there is more than potato chips in there...

Carp - I noticed that. But I'm also concerned that if the other lakes are empty it will lower the third one a little bit as well. If the water does go down then it will need a miracle to make it through this winter.