• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What Draw Weight and Pull Lenght do you have set up?

USPENAMC

at this time i have 30 pull lenght with 60# draw weight i plan on dropping the pull lenght and keeping the draw weight at 60

My draw length is 31 inches and for hunting its usually set at about 58 pounds. Right now I've turned it down to about 54 pounds until I get my arms in shape and come Sept I'll turn it back up to 58.

Right now theres an interesting discussion going on over at bowsite about draw length. The gist of the thread is that most people shoot too long of a draw length and that you can improve your accuracy by shortening your draw length.

Dropping the pull length?... Is the bow too big for you?

I'm 6'2" tall with long ole monkey arms.. My draw length is 31.5" and I have her set at 57lbs.

I guess the same question came to my mind also. Why would you change your draw length? Did your arms get shorter? wink.gif

What about your arrows? It might be tough to shorten your arrows. Unless you're planning on buying new ones.

My draw length is 29" and my draw weight is 65lbs.

I've had my bow so long I don't even know my draw length smirk.gif Guessing from arrow length about 28" draw length. By fall I crank the bow down to quiet her up a bit and she ends up about 71lbs.

How do I figure this out? Pretty much have them put it on the press at the pro shop?

I had a problem with my new sight. I'm going with a 20 and 30 yard pin this year and my 30 yard pin is right on but it is as low as she goes and the sight is as well unless we drill some new holes and then you're getting close to the rest/arrow for my liking. My point is, after getting a new string on yesterday, I explained the problem and we cranked up the draw weight and that helped some in terms of the pin problem. Plus I notice there is no fishtailing' at long distances - 40 yards, etc.

I was set at just over 60 yards but we turned two more cranks. So I'd be interested to see how much that adds. Its not unbearable but its definitiely a little harder. I just don't want to be cold and achy in November and unable to draw back. But I also don't want to give up the extra speed/distance.

My draw length is 27 inches and I have my XT set at 70lbs. I have the guys at Cabin Fever make any adjustments to draw weight for me.

I've got a few different bows set up. I've got two bows set up for hunting both 28.5" draw length and one at 75# for draw weight and the other at 85#

To clear up the draw length thing from USPENAMC, he's got a new-used bow and its set too long for him.

Personally, I don't know that I know the exact measurement of my draw length but its 27.5 - 27.75". Its funny how broad shoulders makes your arms shorter..... I start shooting around 68lbs to get some shoulder strength up and then tune it to 62-65lbs during the season.

Neal at cabin Fever will get him all fixed up when he goes there.

thanks to powerstroke for clearing it up. yes indeed im a newbie and got a new ...used bow it is supposedly set at 60# and 30 inch draw lenght. i plan on heading to cabin fever and having the experts lead me in the right direction. i kind of feel ashamed in a way to walk in there and not knowing what to ask for or say. im also going to ask them to have my brother (14 yrs) pull a few draw weights and lenghts to see what he is comfortable with. he has actually been shooting mine he has the same arm lenght as me minus an inch so we would probably fit in same lenght bow but not same #. i assist him in pulling back once he is in the let off he is pretty set. i found that in fact there are screw in tips on my arrow. the arrow that i was trying to put a tip on didnt have the metal screw in insert and so it would just keep falling out grin.gif when i look back at it in the future it will be funny.. right now its down right embarrasing. i forgot to say that my let off is at 80 % cabin fever here comes a headache

as a former shop owner, don't feel a bit ashamed of not knowing these things!!!we all had/have to learn/start some where!! i loved it when some one that was new to the sport came in!! if the guys are as good as people talk here, you will walk out of there going WOW !enjoy , and learn as you go!

if your brother really has a 1 inch shorter draw,he will be much more comfortable with a bow that is set up to his draw length. del

Ditto. They'll be happy to see you. Both because they love archery and because they need to keep making money loving what they do!

Ahhhhh.....new to you bow. Now I understand. You shouldn't be embarrassed. Like posted above, everyone has to start somewhere and you're making the right choice by heading to your local pro shop.

The point I was trying to make about the arrows was if they were cut for a 30" draw length and say for example your actual draw length is 29" it may be tough to cut those arrows down because of the inserts. Of course you could just shoot the arrows the way they are. They would just stick out a bit further.

Good Luck.

here it is:

CABIN FEVER IS AWESOME need I say more. I walked in with a bunch of questions and feeling dumb. I was attended by a beautiful young lady (didnt get her name) she checked my draw length which is 25.5 so she took my bow down as far as it could go. she then had me shoot 3 arrows good HIGH group. She adjusted my sight and taught me how to do it myself. she then adjusted my pull weight up to 55 pounds while showing me how to do it. equal turns on both sides and all that deal, and had me shoot again. i was still high so she adjusted my sights once more. when we raised the pull weight my arrow rest kept flying OFF. I figured they would try to push an expensive arrow rest or something. NOOO she offered to call the company and maybe get a little screw that goes in that area or something like that. she then showed me a whisker biscuit when i let her know that i might get the jitters and have the arrow fall off my rest. i asked her about the RIPCORD rest and she said they are pretty expensive so ill try and fix yours first. I had to leave my bow there because they ordered a new string to put on it. I had my son along and i told him to sit down and stay while i shot my bow or we wouldnt go fishing. She proceeded to give me advice of where and what type of fish were biting where and what times. she kept telling me about my good shooting form and good groups I had. I can tell you im a CABIN FEVER man for life.

Great post USP.. THey are great people there! Hard to beat a good bow shop! Thats says a ton about a shop when they try hard to not make money on you!

The ladies name that helped you was probably Dawn. They are fine people there and will go to the extreme to help anyone out without digging real far into your pocket.

I always send people I know there and everyone has always been very happy after.

Thanks to Cabin Fever for all you do for the FM members. cool.gif

Indeed a fine place. im just waiting for my call so i can go pick up my bow.