• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up this friday thru sunday and wondering how the fishing is on the east end? Any advice on where to start?

Guided this evening and we boated 19 walleyes kept 12.

5 slot fish between 17 and 19 inches.

Lindys with leeches and crawlers. 7' to 9' of water.

There are also fish out as deep as 42 feet this week.

Cliff

Trolled deep divers in deep water (20-40) and raps in shallow(12-14) and caught one perch and one rockbass tonight.

heartattack22,

The bite in your area sure was affected by the mayfly hatch! tongue.gif I tried that area earlier this week and got zip also! frown.gif

Cliff

Cliff have you fished in the pike bay area at all this week?

Yes. Thats for sure. Was out on the water this morning trying to find where the smoke was coming from and the surface was covered with dead ones around isle of pines...feel sorry for whoever get those on their shore!!!

I have not fished Pike Bay since the opener!

I have heard that they are still getting a few fish trolling Raps there.

Cliff

Im heading up tomorrow morning and will try in pike bay a little bit as well as ely island and stuntz bay areas. I will post a report about how the fishing in those areas is on sunday night.

Friday evening trolled all around pike bay with raps got nothing. Then went up by canfield portage bay with lindys one strike but he short struck my lindy because i only had 1 hook and a crawler. Then went to mouth of everrets bay, nothing again. Saturday a.m. Trolled from end of pike bay out to cherry island and back with deep diving crank, you guessed it , nothing again. Then tried some lindy rigs around the end of the narrows, nothing again. Saturday afternoon trolled around pike bay more with nothing again. Saturday evening fished along a rocky shoreline in about 10 feet of water got one sunnie and one perch. It was kinda interesting though since ive never seen a sunnie out of vermilion before. Then trolled from swedetown bay back to pike bay narrows , nothing. Sunday a.m trolled rapala around pike bay and used a slip bobber off of a couple points, nothing again. I dont know if the fish just arent biting or if im doing something wrong confused.gif. Next year i will just stay in when the bugs are hatching.

Vermillion wally,

I was using lindy rigs baited with leeches or 1/2 crawler all weekend and we limited out each day.

Two mornings we were close to Stuntz Bay. The rest of the time we fished midlake bars.

6' to 26' of water.

Call me next time you are up and I will see if I can give you directions to get you on some fish! wink.gif

Cliff

Quote:

... got one sunnie and one perch. It was kinda interesting though since ive never seen a sunnie out of vermilion before.

Vermilion is home to a lot of really nice sunfish. Brother-in-law has a multiple mount of 5 or 6 ten/eleven-inchers he caught in Fox Bay reeds.

Quote:

Next year i will just stay in when the bugs are hatching.

This may sound counter-intuitive, but some of your best walleye fishing can be had by getting right into the thickest ongoing hatch you can find, jig the smallest silver Mepps you can find tipped with a small chunk of crawler, and set the hook!

Cliff,

Do you use two hooks when you lindy rig with a crawler? I couldnt figure out how to tie another hook on there and i didnt want to use a pre tied one because i had tied on my own fleurocarbon leader? Also do you blow up your crawlers with a worm blower? I was doing that all weekend and the one strike i had took the whole crawler right up to the hook and dropped it. Maybe i didnt let him run long enough. It looked like a mayfly bed on the depth finder that i was fishing up in canfield portage when i had that one. I thought they might have been hitting the deep diving cranks but i gues not although i only had one with me which was a tail dancer bleeding tiger pattern. Which crankbait patterns work best. I know my best rapalas in pike bay are #9 orange floating and #9 silver and black. I thought about fishing close to stuntz bay but i stopped outside of swedetown instead and thats where i caught those fish. I will be back up this sunday thru thursday. Maybe i can email you. Thanks for the help grin.gif

Vermilionwally,

I only use 1 hook on my Lindy Rigs, usually size #4.

I very seldom use more then 1/2 of a crawler on my rigs and I never blow them up.

Rap colors that work vary from day to day.

Cliff

like cliff a half a crawler is more than enough....last week i had a client with a harness on...his choice...and took the extra hook off and he caught fish....one sometimes never knows....the most consistent thing lately is the plain ole lindy rig...a blue hook has seemed to work well...as has the good ol red....fishing has been fine and am really looking towards the rest of the year....but sure do miss my boat....always did claim i can guide out of any ...boat...get mine back soon...........very nice fish this year!!!!!

Just got back Saturday from Vermillion and had a great time...caught a few walleyes and the group had some nice fish in the slot but the hatch killed the bite. We did get into alot of nice smallies though, and I even saw a boat Friday morning right off our dock at Glenwood Resort that had a fishing minnesota sticker on the side of a navy Lund.

When is this bug hatch going to be over? I thought it was kind of the tail end last weekend but i could be wrong. Hopefully they will be clear by sunday so i can get into a few walleyes grin.gif