Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
South_Metro_Slayer

the 1# metro walleye lake?

24 posts in this topic

which lake in the metro do you guys think is number one for catching some nice eyes and why?

i cant recall one.

Any lake where I'm not fishing on that particular day is bound to be #1! confused.gif

Is Applebees a lake???

I would imagine minnetonka is one of the better metro walleye lakes, but cant speak from experience. Buffalo is not bad either...

I dont think you'd catch too much fishing at Applebee's, the puddles dont usually get very deep.

I vote for Tonka... but that's the only lake in the metro where I target walleyes.

Depends on where you spend your time and how you learn the water. I'd have to say for size Minnetonka, numbers Waconia, Green in Chisago, Forest lake, Clear in FL. White bear and Bald eagle have their years too. Of course you can never overlook the rivers(St. Croix, Miss, Mn)! Best fishery around but takes some time to get to know the when, where, and how to get them consistently there. Just my .02.

Tunrevir~

Might not be the best, but if you don't have a boat, I would recommend Lake Vadnais. There's only one fishing hole there that I know people fish for walleyes. You may be there all afternoon and catch nothing, but someone there almost always catches a walleye or a pike. So if you don't mind being part of the raffle, then try that lake out and you might be the lucky guy. Oh yeah, you might catch a walleye with a reward there.

Mille Lacs!!!

I second that. The miss can be pretty good at times too from what i've heard, but it's too dirty for me to eat anything out of there

Metro? Mille-lacs is a bit away but that would be number 1 if your talking closest to the metro. I'd recommend tonka, if your onshore, hit the narrows. There's the regulars which are there everynight at 6pm to get a piece of action. Plain hook and leech, somenights you can hook up with 7-8 walleyes. You will usually see a nice one in the 23"+ range be pulled. You will have to bottom fish the narrows due to traffic, but make sure your setup allows your line to spool free when they hit and your good.

i remember reading about a hot little lake right next to the target in fridley south of 694 two winters ago. might have to check that out.

i would have to throw a vote in for harriet or calhoun. both can be really good at the right time of the year, and a guy has very little competition on either of those two lakes. of course, i wouldnt think of eating anything out of there, but catching them is always more fun than eating them anyway. besides whats better than fishing and having dudes in pastel speedos running around on shore? tongue.gif

Quote:

i remember reading about a hot little lake right next to the target in fridley south of 694 two winters ago. might have to check that out.

i would have to throw a vote in for harriet or calhoun. both can be really good at the right time of the year, and a guy has very little competition on either of those two lakes. of course, i wouldnt think of eating anything out of there, but catching them is always more fun than eating them anyway. besides whats better than fishing and having dudes in pastel speedos running around on shore?
tongue.gif

I concur with Calhoun. Late nights in the fall have serious eyes. 3lbs to 7lbs are what my father and me have caught in recent years.

I was just being funnty. However the truth is that with all the road construction you can spend an hour driving across or around the metro area to get to a decent lake. From the northern suburbs you can get to Mille lacs in a little more than an hour.

Duece X - is there a public access on Vadnais? I've thought of trying it out, but just never got around to it. Didn't know it had a decent 'Eye population, though... now I think that I'm going to have to give it a shot.... but can I get a boat on it is the question?

Sorry Slick, no boats allowed at all on Vadnais. Shore fishin' only. I believe it's the water supply for St. Paul, but I'm not sure on that. Have heard there are nice fish in there though.

there are some huge gills in there too. every year i take the kids up to the bridge off F the drains sucker lake into there. thousands of gills the size of my hands in there and they swim right next to the no fishing sign. also have seen some nice northerns, and very large bass cruising that area in late april or early may.

i was talking to two guys that had their kids as well. one guy said he thought you would get fined if you got caught fishing there and i wondered about how much that fine would be. the other guy said he wasnt sure about how much it was now, but two years ago he got pinched for $120.

Cub foods seafood section.... grin.gif

The other bad thing is...this year anyway, the weeds are closing out most of the shoreline. The fishing space is getting smaller all the time. Also, the fishing time is when the open the gates in the morning until about 1/2 hour after sunset. But it is a very relaxing place to fish and if you don't catch anything, the view is great.

Quote:

Sorry Slick, no boats allowed at all on Vadnais. Shore fishin' only. I believe it's the water supply for St. Paul, but I'm not sure on that. Have heard there are nice fish in there though.

Are canoes allowed on the lake?

I'm assuming it is closed in the winter so anyone doesnt drive on the lake and leave trash anywhere. argh that would be a deadly ice fishing lake.

The Calhoun views are remarkable. Finding a place to park though confused.gif

Tonka can have some wonderful views to. I would say Tonka for metro, but I love that lake so I'm bias. In the winter I have my spots, but come summer I'm chasing bass.

I heard jigging the weedline with minnow or leech can be good for just about anything. I'll be in the lily pads with scum frog though grin.gif

East Vadnais Lake is an integral part of the St. Paul water system and falls within the boundaries of Snail Lake Regional Park. The St. Paul Water Utility controls the access and surface use of all bodies of water within the park. There is no surface use permitted on East Vadnais Lake and the hours of use are also restricted. All angling is done from shore on the west side of the lake.

Walleye and northern pike dominated the catch. The majority of walleye in the sample ranged in size from 12-20" and the northern pike were of a smaller relative size averaging 20". Other gamefish present were smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, bluegill and black crappie. Bluegill were present in good numbers with the majority in the 5.5-7.0" length group. Black crappie, smallmouth bass and largemouth bass were sampled in fairly low numbers.

Other fish species present were: yellow perch, white bass, pumpkinseed, hybrid sunfish, green sunfish, rock bass, white sucker, yellow bullhead, brown bullhead, and carp. All sampled in low numbers.

I said metro Lake, not metro river? sorry boys the river dont qualify for this post

Your not allowed to boat, canoe...you can't even wade in vadnais. And ice fishing isn't allowed either.