Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RonT

Quickest way to the NW Angle from Twin Cities

8 posts in this topic

We are heading up to the NW Angle on 6/25 and am looking for advice on the quickest way to get there from the Northwest Metro. Any fishing reports would also be appreciated. Thanks.

I usually head up 94 to clearwater and then jump up to US 10 through St. Cloud North up to Brainard via 371 and then take US 2 over to Bemidji just west of there I cut up the west sides of lower and upper Red Lake to Fourtown from there we head north to Warroad over 40 miles of gravel through a refuge, then cross the border north of Warroad and head toward Sprague, MB. From there we go north and follow the signs. The gravel north of Fourtown is a short cut and I think if you go straight you can stay on blacktop. Sorry I couldn't be more exact but I am not at home and I do not have a map with me, but I am also driving up there on the 25th. We will be at the Angle Outpost for a few days.

Sorry I forgot to mention the route takes me about 6.5 to 7 hours from Golden Valley.

is the gravel stretch you are talking about hwy 1/89, or something else?

Take 94 to 59 in Fergus and head north through DL working to Theif River and Roseau via the backroads smile.gif

Chris C

The road north of Fourtown is called Dicks Parkway. It's one of the main roads through Beltrami Island State Forest. It is a shortcut to Warroad, but with all the rain we've been getting, I would bet it's not in the greatest of shape.

I would suggest the 94 to Clearwater, then to Highway #10 to Detroit Lakes, the 59 to TRF, then onto Roseau then North. From TRF, this route takes me to St. Cloud in 4 hrs and 5 to the cities. Roseau is 1 hr. from TRF.

I usually take 10 to Motely then 64 to 200 over to 71 up to 2. Then take 2 to Bageley then 92 to Gully. From Gully take county roads straight north to 11 just east of Roseau, take 11 to Roseau and head north to Canada. Nice part of this way is skipping the res. If your traveling late I don't think the Roseua customs is open all night though.

Ron T: I'd get to Warroad and cross over there. They're open 24/7 and a quick shot over to Sprague, then North from there has always been the best way for me.. Kaz