• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Garnett trades

Scott M

It's sounding more and more like its only a matter of time before he gets traded out. After next year KG has an opt out clause and if they don't make the playoffs and can't put anything around him why would the guy stay considering how amazingly competitive he is?....I have no doubt he would leave in a classy way but it would still sting the T wolf fans.

ESPN is talking about Boston or Phoenix. Personally if it is inevitable, I would rather see him go to Phoenix so I could start cheering for Phoenix and see him with Nash...He'd have a great shot at that ring. I can't stand seeing him go to Boston...they've ripped us off once and I grew up watching Boston win championships...I've seen enough so for my part they can stink for the next 50 years.

Anyone hear anything else? Hoopshype.com is always good for a rumor or two.

I just read the same thing you did on ESPN. If he went to Phoenix we would need Stoudamire back in return along with some other things. If he went to Boston they were talking about Al Jefferson and Boston's first round pick. I think we would need a lot more than that. I think it is time to trade KG. It is McHale and Taylor's fault for not putting the pieces together around him to win while he was here. They did it one year and weird, they made it to the Western Conference Finals. If they do trade KG they better get a helluva good deal because I am sick of the Wolves getting ripped off in trades. mad.gif

Aren't KG & Kobe friends?? I don't follow basketball much could something like that happen??

The Kobe for KG trade is interesting, but it would never happen. The reason that both players want out is so they can go to a competator. Swapping players would land each player in the same situation, just further away from home. It will be hard to see KG go, but it is becoming inevitable. I see it happening before the upcoming season for a package of young players and draft picks. If we do trade him, we better find a way to get whatever team wants KG to take Hudson and Jaric as well!

I say they should try and get at least another lottery pick in this years draft along with our own 7 pick. That would mean getting two top players to add to our young up and comers. Also, get players with expiring contracts. Keep our core young players (Foye, McCants, Smith)and dump everyone else (Davis, Hassell, Hudson, Jaric). Wolves need to get out of all these bad contracts. If Mchale can do this he should resign and let someone else, such as Hoiberg, have a relatively clean slate to build a team. The best thing Mchale can do for this franchise is to leave the team.

If they could get Jefferson, Gerald Green and the #5 pick from Boston then I would do it. Jefferson is on the verge of being a great low post player and Green has tons of upside. We'd be extremely young, but could slowly develop a contender like the Bulls have.

Maybe by the time all the Wolves' young players are ready to make a run, Tim Duncan will have retired.

i agree. i would be 100% for it if they could work a way to get one more of the bad contracts off our hands.

I really wasn't suggesting a Kobe for KG trade, I was talking about dumping some of our extra guards, Hudson etc... a draft pick, some cash to go along with KG, and JHoward?? I'm no expert but could that be feasable?? Definately would make it interesting with those three, hopefully some supporting staff, KG deserves the support. Go Wolves... cool.gifcool.gif

You nailed it on the head bucketmouth! Lets get 2 of the top 7 picks in a really deep draft. I think that we should keep hassel as he is experienced and proved he can score when he wants, he just needs to cut his minutes to 20-22/game. Garnett will be done after this year anyway. I think he will opt out of his contract so why not get something for him this year.

I don't think KG will opt out, he'd be nuts to turn down 24 million next year. He's not going to get that money anywhere else. I think he'd put up with it for one more year and then leave.

Still, I think they should move him if they get the right offer. This team isn't going anywhere and they don't have the cap space to bring in any good veteran talent.

Just blow it up and give Foye, McCants, Smith and the rookie(s) a bunch of mintues this year.

The only downside of that is that the fans wouldn't have high expectations with a bunch of young players and we wouldn't have any more motivation to call for McHale's firing.

Quote:

The only downside of that is that the fans wouldn't have high expectations with a bunch of young players

I'm not aware of anyone expecting much from the current roster either. Trade Garnett and a bunch of our high end contracts (ie. Hudson, Jaric, etc..) for a high draft pick and expiring contracts. Let the young guns get their experience this year and build for the future.

Garnett isn't in the NBA for the money. Yes, it is an upside but KG plays for the love of the game. If he wants to leave next year he will and I don't think it will matter to him how much he makes as long as he wins.

I see Garnett rejected a trade to the Celtics and claims he wants to be dealt to the Suns. I heard it's Garnett and Hudson for Amare and the Suns first round pick in 2008(via Atlanta). We all know were Atlanta finishes every year so it seems like a Top 5 pick. I heard that we might have to bring a third team in. I think I would do it if that was the case.

Now that's an interesting trade rumor. I do believe KG would be gone after next season as well, and agree that we should get something for him now rather than nothing later. Our current team is going to be terrible again this season anyway. As much as I can't stand the guy, Steven A Smith was ranting the other day about how terrible a GM McHale is for having one of the best players of all time and doing absolutely nothing with it, never even seemed to try to build a team around him, and just think he was just named one of sports best general manangers??? What does McHale have on Glen Taylor?

I respectfully disagree. KG's insane salary is the reason we do not have anybody else on the team, even though we have some decent players though he can't win either way. If he really wanted to win and money was not an object, he would give up 75% of his salary to get some quality players here. Trade him while he's worth something.

I don't follow the NBA all that much but if they trade K.G. to anyone in the west and don't replace him with = talent they are nuts. Not only that but you trade K.G. for a non franchise labeled player and a couple draft picks the wolves will be right back to where they were in their inaugaral season a bunch of average joe players. No matter what they do I don't expect them to make the playoffs next year either one problem with the coaching last year in particular was they changed up the starting lineup too much even after they won with a certtain lineup next night out it would be changed so dont you feel as there was no substance for the team to gel as one when player minutes kept changin. Just my nickels worth

i think if i were kg, i'd look harder at that celtic deal. the cavs prooved that you only need one star to win the east. i never really heard who the celts were giving up, but they do have some young talent.

if i were the suns, i would never trade amare for kg. it makes no sense to me to trade a young star for an old one. kg has a little more offense, but that is it over amare. and with that said, amare can still pour in 40 a night, runs the floor better and defends just as well. i wonder if the lakers could put something together to appease kobe cool.gif

CoachDOg-

I said the same thing 3 years ago. KG is not worth half of what he was 3 years ago. Amare and a top 5 draft pick 3 years ago would have been laughed at. I'd take it now.

ALSO--- for all of you that said I was nuts for wanting to trade KG 3 years ago,,, (you're still on here) what do you think now?? Maybe they could trade him to the Spurs for Duncan and 4 championships??? Maybe we shouldn't trade him and make the first round every year until KG is 40 and get beat in 4 games to teams like Denver, houston, etc.

Quote:

CoachDOg-

I said the same thing 3 years ago. KG is not worth half of what he was 3 years ago. Amare and a top 5 draft pick 3 years ago would have been laughed at. I'd take it now.

ALSO--- for all of you that said I was nuts for wanting to trade KG 3 years ago,,, (you're still on here) what do you think now?? Maybe they could trade him to the Spurs for Duncan and 4 championships??? Maybe we shouldn't trade him and make the first round every year until KG is 40 and get beat in 4 games to teams like Denver, houston, etc.

UMMMMM....not sure what your trying to say here?

He's worth about the same today as 3 years ago maybe a little more because he's not owed 100 MILLION Dollars salarys are a huge issue when trading players especially the higher paid guys.

A. Stoudamire was 22 3 years ago not sure what kind of anology you were trying to get at...

Personally I don't think trading KG will do anything to get us past the first round but I understand the logic of trading him.

Making trades in the NBA with the salary cap is difficult to nearly impossible.

I think its time for a change. Fact of the matter is, there just not getting it done now. I know tha tKG is one of the best players around in the game, but when the guy is making more money then all the other guys on the team, noone why they cant put anyone around him.

I will beat he will stay here and not leave.

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. KG's insane salary is the reason we do not have anybody else on the team, even though we have some decent players though he can't win either way. If he really wanted to win and money was not an object, he would give up 75% of his salary to get some quality players here. Trade him while he's worth something.

This isn't the NFL. He can't restructure his contract. If you were going to sign a contract for your job would you sign for less money? Especially if you grew up in a single parent family in a town surrounded by drugs and poverty? McHale and Taylors fault...they write and sign the contracts and checks. It's not like he was going to get a deal that large on the market all those years ago....

I'am trying to say that 3 years ago I said on here that we should trade KG and got shot down like a zero over Midway. 3 years ago, KG was 3 years younger and the T-wolves still have a big 0 to show. If you honestly think KG is the same player he was 3 years ago, your nuts. He was worth more 3 years ago then he is now, that's why teams actually listen to deals now- becasue they know they can get KG for Al jefferson and some garbage thrown in or etc. Back after the WC Finals run, you could have gotten a top notch starter and two #1 draft picks, and no questions would have been asked. IN a nut- the time to trade a player is when he has the most market value. KG's market value has gone down hill ever since becasue no one wanted to pull the strings. Hope the T-wolves don't get screwed, but they defintely don't have the management to prove otherwise.

I agree we would have gotten more for garnett three years ago but who would trade the star player on a team that almost made it to the chapionship the year before. That would have made the fans even more angry at Mccale.

Yes now it looks like it would have been a good deal but who saw the timberwolves being this bad three years ago.

when spree and sam left, I saw the T-wolves being this bad 3 years ago. Period. Wally-- come on. He couldn't play with Spree or Sam C in their prime, and Sam C still had some productive years after he left. I'am glad the laker deal has busted as Bynum and Odom would have been a joke for KG.

Why can't he restructure his contract? Is it an NBA thing? Just curious.