Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulie8pointer

Whats the best way to fish in mid July???

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys....coming up July 16th what are the best ways to catch fish?? Jig and leach, crawler, fathead?? Slip bobbering?? Trolling spinner rigs?? I have down riggers on my boat can I use them with flutter spoons (ie pro king)or cranks?? What depths do I target? Are the Walleye still off the points or are they on mid lake reefs? And one last ??....If you were me what bait would you get? I know it's allot of questions but I habe never fished Rainy before but I have been on allot of fly ins to Canada and have an idea how to target the fish but it has been a few years because I had 3 kids and now the are 3 - 5 and 7 and this year I talked (Begged) the wife into a house boat trip! I know I am nuts but it will be fun! My boys 5 and 7 love to fish and I thought maybe we could get them with slip bobbers...what do you think. Thanks you guys for any info - spots or depths to target.

Paul confused.gif

hey good luck on RL The best way i've found is to find underwater humps that are surrounded by deep water 40 -50ft and comes into 20ft. On over cast days they seem to be on top of reefs. Try chubs on a jig or Lindy rigs,

Good Luck grin.gifgrin.gif

HI P.8.P.,

YOU ARE FISHING THE BEST POSSIBLE TIME TO FISH RAINY, REEFS 20 TO 35 FEET, AS MENTIONED, LINDYS WITH CRAWLERS

OR LEECHES, OR JIGS & MINNOWS. ALSO TROLLING CRANKS WORKS ON THE FLATS AROUND THE REEFS. INSTEAD OF SLIP BOBBERS, HAVE GOOD 30 LB ANCHOR OR A RIVER ANCHOR WITH A LOG CHAIN & 130 FOOT OF ROPE & HAVE YOUR BOYS FISH JIGS & MINNOWS VERTICLE., YOU MAY BE AMAZED ON HOW MANY FISH THEY WILL CATCH!!!

SINCERELY,

FISHMESITER

The best part about Rainy Lake is that all the techniques that you have mentioned will work on different structures throughout the lake. The preferred method to fish Rainy Lake is to vertical jig, lindy rig, or pull spinners, but in the last few years I have been experimenting with different techniques that are often overlooked.

Trolling bigger reef runners adjacent to reefs/flats will produce fish, and often times they are bigger. Riggin' over 40-80' of water will produce the same. I like riggin' in Sand Bay 'cause its just one big sand flat. Walleyes like to congregate around baitfish in the middle of nowhere and once found can produce good action. I prefer pullin' #11 floaters or X-10 raps behind the rigger ball...of course set the rigger appropriately so the rap is about 1' of bottom...or whereever you are graphing the fish at.

Slip bobbering works well, but it works better on calmer days. That one is self-explanatory.

Thanks you guys for the info....What is the best way to keep minnows and leaches alive for 5 days??

Paule

Hey P8,

Get yourself a minnow and leech baittamer, and sink it into some cool water. Your bait will stay very fresh. I'm sure good ole Bill will have them for you at the One Stop Shop!

RD

Thanks allot guys....I will stop and see Bill @ one stop. Keep the reports coming.....you can learn sooooo much!

Thanks,

Paulie