Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
MN1429

Fishing Advice - Help! Staying at McKinley Park

MN1429    0
MN1429

My Dad and I will be making our first trip to Lake Vermillion this weekend in over 20 years. We are going to be staying at McKinley Park, heading up late Thursday night and Fishing Friday and Sat. Would love some advice on good Walleye spots near the park. Also some advice on what to do. We have a small 14 foot boat, and we had just been plannin on trolling a rapala around. So as you can tell any and all advice, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and I cannot wait for the comments to start rolling in.

Jeremy

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

MN1429,

McKinley Park Campground is a great spot! smile.gif

Try trolling Rapalas or Shad Raps in the Seven Sisters area, the Pike Bay Narrows and around Raspberry Island. All of these spots are good walleye areas and are close enough that you should have no problem in your smaller boat.

Cliff

MN1429    0
MN1429

Cliff,

I was reading through these posts while I was waiting for the site to allow me to post, and I see that you have posted for many many people. I also see that you are a guide, I find it awesome that you will advice to people even though thats what you do for a living. Thank you so much!

Now if you dont mind, can I ask a few more questions:

Any special colors working better than others?

What about size of the Rapalas, I have several F-7's are those too small, should I get a could of F-9?

As for shad, what ones do I want to pick up, deep divers, jointed, or a combo of each?

What times of day are better?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I want my dad and I to hve a awesome time with the hopes of coming back.

Thanks again, Jeremy

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

Jeremy,

F-7 and F-9 floating Raps in Firetiger,bright gold, perch, rainbow minnow, and silver have all been good on certain days.

The same colors & sizes for the Shads except that you may want to get a couple of clown colors in the Shads. You may also want to get a few that dive to around 17 feet for the 20 ft. flats by Seven Sisters.

Early and late day are the best times unless there is a stiff wind and waves, if so, you may be able to catch fish all day.

Good Fishing!

Cliff

MN1429    0
MN1429

CLiff,

thanks again for the good advice! We really appreciate it, and we are looking forward to some good fishing!

Where would the best spot in town be to get a good map of the lake with depths, etc. Since we dont have a depth finder?

Thanks

DaveSorensen    0
DaveSorensen

Jeremy,

Stop in at our store Vermilion Fuel and Food, we have several different maps that have the contours and locations. Also if you are looking for a GPS in the near future, the Ifinder H20 with the lake map chip for minnesota has the contours for Vermilion along with the locations of various markers on the lake.

Good luck on your trip, stop in the store and ask for either myself (Dave) or Steve, we can show you the different maps.

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

Vermilion Fuel and Food is the place to go!

They have everything you will need for your fishing trip!

Cliff

MN1429    0
MN1429

Cliff,

A few posts ago, you had mentioned the wind and waves. I was reading over your advice and I am sort of stumped. Are you saying that if its windy and there are waves then fishing will be great all day, or the other way around?

If its windy, are there places that are better than others?

Also thanks for the tip about getting the maps, we will make sure and stop in there!

Where is the best place in town to get a burger and a cold beer?

Jeremy

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

Jeremy,

The walleyes may bite all day if you fish in the wind.

Both spots that I mentioned earlier apply here.

The Good-Old-Days in Tower for great burgers!! grin.gif

Cliff

MN1429    0
MN1429

anyone, :-)

What is the proper way to set up a Lindy Rig, with all the beads, snell, etc. anyone who would be willing to share that info would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

fishmobile    0
fishmobile

Jeremy - If you really want to have a great time not only catching fish but learning how and where to fish on Vermilion, I would strongly suggest you book a day with Cliff. You and your dad will have a blast and you can use the info gained from fishing with him to go back out and try it yourself. You will find that it is money well spent and Cliff is a great guy to boot. I did that on my last trip up there and had a great time.

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

Standard Lindy Rig:

1. Slide a 3/8 oz. to 1/2 oz. egg sinker onto your main line.

2. Tie on a barrell swivel.

3. Tie on a 8# to 10# test mono leader that is around 3 feet long.

4. Tie a #4 to #2 bait hook onto the leader.

Add bait of your choice and commence to whack the walleyes! grin.gif

Cliff

fishmarket    0
fishmarket

Cliff, I noticed you said an egg sinker...do you think this style of sinker makes a difference compared to a walking style sinker or other kinds??

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

No. But it is the easiest one to use for most beginners.

I use bell sinkers on all of my rigs.

Cliff

MN1429    0
MN1429

Happy Monday to all and back to work!

I will give a brief breakdown of the weekend fishing! We arrived early on Friday morning, and headed out fishing. We trolled out of McKinley Park, down towards Pike Bay and Through the Narrows comtinuing toward Everetts Bay. No fish were biting there, so we headed toward Seven Sisters, trolled through that area with no fish, we then just enjoyed the warm sunshine sitting in the boat and trolling random places. We back to the campground set up camp and took a nap. 4 pm headed back out, and trolled the shoreline from McKinley park toward Everetts bay, finally caught some fish, although of course the fish we caught were in the slot, one really nice 26"er :-) Saturday morning it was ideal conditions were walleyes, we again trolled the same area and hooked into a few smaller fish, decided to throw everything back and just see how many we could catch, we ended up with 5 10-13" and 2 18". Overall a GREAT experience, and we are definitely coming back again. And I think I will take the advice a book one day with Cliff, so we can learn the lake a lot better.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice, and we stopped in at Vermilion Food and Fuel Early on Friday, but Dave was not working, oh well still got our maps! Thanks again

Jeremy

vermilionwally    0
vermilionwally

How deep were you trolling and what were you using?

MN1429    0
MN1429

WalleyeWally,

We were trolling in 10-15 ft and using Rapalas. I had the best luck with a new color called Hot Steel! My Dad on the other hand had his best luck with Black/Silver and Blue/Silver.

Cliff,

What are your ratesd for guided fishing? also you mentioned Clown Colors in Shad Raps, what the heck is a Clown Color, I went to a few bail camps and they had no idea of what a Clown Color was. Thanks again

vermilionwally    0
vermilionwally

hmm, i over looked the floating rapalas out in big bay. I used medium diving tail dancers close to shore and a deep diving tail dancer out in 20-25 feet. I will have to try my floaters next sunday when im up again . I always likes the # 9 bright orange. I saw somebody fishing with downriggers out on big bay but i talked to one of them later and they didnt have any luck either.

MN1429    0
MN1429

Do you like your new knickname that I gave you? "Walleye Wally"

Whats the story with people fishing near the rocks in from on that huge white house on Cherry Island? Anyone know?

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

If they were casting they were after muskie. If they were bobber fishing they were after walleyes.

I saw them there also a few times. Must be a good spot because I have seen boats there quite a few times before.

Cliff

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

MN1429,

Check out my website for my guiding rates.

The clown color is basicly a white & chartuse body with a red head. shocked.gif

Cliff

vermilionwally    0
vermilionwally

I do like that new nickname grin.gif. First i will have to figure out how to catch myself a walleye though frown.gif. I also saw a boat fishing by that white house, although i was pretty far away it looked like the were casting to me.

vermilionwally    0
vermilionwally

Alright i picked myself up one of those new size 9 rapalas in hot steel so i will try it out next week and see how it works. How many split shots did you put on out there to get it down to the fish?

mrwalleye_13    0
mrwalleye_13

So has anyone ever tried rollin number 5 raps with planer boards? or w/o them and just far enough out where they are effectively at the right depth? I have never tried it on verm but ran into that technique out on devils lake... it just seems as if it might work out on verm... cliff?

Cliff Wagenbach    806
Cliff Wagenbach

I do not use planer boards but do not know why it would not work!

I have caught lots of walleyes on Raps over the years.

Cliff