Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
limited out

weather radio

8 posts in this topic

I recieved a weather radio for fathers day but not sure it is one that will give alarm when bad weather is approaching. Does anyone have a recommendation on one? The one i got is a sony tv/am/fm/weather radio but is not programmable nor does it have an weather alart warning. I do not believe it is a NOAA radio either. Suggestions?

Sounds like the radio you have is capable of picking up "weather band" but will not receive alerts from NOAA. The type of radios you are looking for have a NOAA certification since they are the ones who create the alerts.

CUB Foods has teamed up with WCCO and is selling a very good NOAA radio, programable and everything. $30

Look for S.A.M.E. capable - or words to that effect to get a radio that will automatically turn on when there is an alert for your area. Also, this week Mills fleet Farm has the midland brand radio that cub is selling on sale for 25$

Another good feature to look for is the ability to program the radio for the area you want to be alerted to. I had a digital model that you could do this but I gave it to my mother. Mine you can't. Nothing's worse than having the thing go off at 3 AM to find out the warning is for a hundred miles away. It goes by county and you just feed in the codes.

Thanks guys, Mine did not have the alarm alert so i took it back to Target and they were out of the ones that did. Then i went to Best Buy and the lady told me they do not carry them in-store and that i was the 15 person to ask the last 2 days. Maybe it would be a good idead to carry them then?!

I just picked one up at menards for about $16 with the alarm and a built in flashlight, seemed like a pretty good deal.

Have a Radio Shack nearby ? Got mine there, or if not a store near you , perhaps on line.

Don