Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuckwagon

shore spot in chaska on 41

6 posts in this topic

has anybody fished the spot thats on highway 41 between downtown chaska and 169, you can see it from the bridge looking west if heading south on 41.you take a 1/2 mile dirt trail to get there right after the chaska bridge. what kind of fish are there and what are you using?

Hey chuckwagon. Welcome to Fishing Minnesota!

I forget the name of that backwater lake, but it has a lot of species. It gets fished quite a bit, but I haven't been back there in quite a few years. I can say that there are some fish in there though.

The lake is called Gifford, it gets flooded by the MN river all the time, so what is in the River is in that lake. It has a max depth usually of about 8 ft. When we were kids, ekhmm...about 25 to 30 years ago we fished it with sucker minnows and bobbers and caught a bunch of 2 to 5 lbs northerns!!

Hey Chuck, glad you decided to post. I tried using the DNR's lake finder and it doesn't have any info on the lake. Maybe we can take my canoe out sometime and fish it...after I get back from the BWCA of course.

Welcome aboard. If you like the river Dtro is a pretty smart guy. Also check out the catfish and rough fish forums up above. Lots of MN river info there.

We always called it Depot Lake growing up.

This lake is on the DNR lakefinder you just need to search for Gifford in Scott county. I have heard it called both Gifford and Depot but i'm assuming since the DNR calls it Gifford thats what its called. It says the max depth is 8ft like another poster already said. I have been meaning to try this spot for some time now, but havent gotten around to do it. There is a post way back during the winter about this lake and as i remember there was quite a big discussion over this lake. If you go back there and try it be sure to post your results i would be curious to see how you do. Good Luck ~bassboy