Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishing_High

Kimble Muskies?

7 posts in this topic

I saw on the dnr lake finder that there were no muskies in this lake, but i bought one of those 4 dollar lake maps from Cabelas and it says right there on the map muskies listed as the first fish. Can anyone that has fished this lake clear this up for me? thanks

Kimball used to have a very small population of muskies. A one time stocking (if I have my information correct) back in the 60s was the main source of this population. Connecting Ossawinnamakee also had a small population. Ossi was last stocked in the 70s. So does Kimball have muskies? It's been many many years since I've heard of one being caught out of there. Too bad they didn't continue their stocking program in these two lakes. With the forage base I'm sure you'd see some very healthy fish.

Aaron

I've fished it. Haven't seen or caught one yet.....but that doesn't mean they're not in there. If they are, like Aaron says, the population is likely very small.

yea thats what I figured if there are any left there probably some big ones sitting out in the middle.

I used to fish this lake a ton until 1996 when my grandparents moved off the lake. I caught one small one about 20 inches once, but nothing else, however they had heard of some big ones caught near the Ossie channel a few years earlier. I would see an occasional big northern up in the shallows tho. Do you fish this lake or planning on fishing it (purchasd the map I'm guessing you are)? Just curious what it is like these days, I know the water is unbelievably clear. The last few years I fished it I caught a number of smallies, are they still in there??

I fished it this past weekend. My buddy has a cabin on Star Lake we made our way down the channels, a lot of them are real shallow. We fished Kimble for a few hours caught a few largies and had one big bite break off my deep diver. The lake is still really clear but there was more boat traffic on that lake then the others we had better luck in Bass and Little star. No muskie sitings tho....

I've fished this lake a bit. Not much success for much of anything. A few small crappies and some hammer handles. But the sad news is that I just got word that it now has eurosian milfoil and zebra mussles. frown.gif

I've never seen a muskie come out of it. Either has my buddy who lives on the lake.