Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan

Motor/Technical help needed....

3 posts in this topic

I have yet another question. First of all, is their a place to post maintenance questions? other than here?

Second is, yesterday I took my new rig out on a quiet lake in Hastings (Isabel) not sure if you can have motors on that lake, but I did. It seemed like a good place to practice backing up the trailer without an audience. Anyway, with a few pulls and the choke out on my Yamaha 4HP OB, she started right up. I left the choke out for about 5-10 minutes to warm up. After cruising for a while, I pushed the choke back in and the motor killed! The only way it would keep running is if I had the choke all the way out. Now I know enough to not keep the choke out, because it can foul the plug and ruin the engine. Any ideas on why it would not run with the choke in? Now, I did realize when I got home, that I did not open the vent on the gas cap on the motor. (It has a small gas tank on it)The manual says to open before starting it. But with this being my first time, I forgot to open the air vent on the gas cap. Could this have been the reason it would not run with the choke in? if it is, this is a good thing, then it's nothing serious, and next time I will remember. But if not, I have a problem, and not sure how to fix it.

Thanks to all for any help or advice you can give. And if I should be posting this in another forum location, please advise as well.

Thank you..

Hi Alan,

Not familiar with that motor, but yes, the vent cap being closed was nost likely the reason. On our '82 Merc 50, we went so far as to put a tie wrap on the threads when it is open, so that it will not vibrate shut after hours of use, as it can happen. And then it does just as you mention.

Give it a try with vent open, and you will fire right up. Also, at this time of year, you will only need choke to get it started, when it fires up, then turn choke off right away. When it is cold you might have to choke the snot out of it, but should not need it in this warmer weather as much.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. This is all new to me...