• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grand Marais Report 6/9 - 6/16

I just got back from my annual trip to grand marais, as always it was good times. We saw alot of moose, more deer than we could count, a wolf, a few fox, osprey, eagles, more loons than I ever remember seeing up there. Seen some of the damage of the fire...from the gunflint lake access it looked like canada got hit really hard.

Now for the fishing...6/9...We fished a lake that shall remain nameless. I doubt it's a secret to locals, but I just don't want anyone getting mad at me for talking about the giant jumbo perch in this lake. My dad was in a different boat and claims to have lost a 2 pound perch at the boat, however his reliability continues to diminish with his age. My fiance lost one that was easily 1.25 pounder at the boat. Me and her only caught a handful, but my folks and my nephews were nailing them. My dad normally loves perch, but on this particular day he didn't feel like keeping any. The northerns and walleye were tight lipped. There are no smallmouths in the lake (yet) and I think that's why the perch fishing is so good.

Day 2 (6/10) We went to loon lake. We used to slaughter the bass on this lake but we only caught about half a dozen. It's normally been good for some nice pike too, but I could only manage a few follows. Trolling and jigging for lakers only resulted in a couple small bass.

Day 3 (6/11) Caribou Lake. The bass were a little more active on this lake. We probably caught about 40 or so, some nice football sized ones too. I tried jigging and trolling different baits, lures, and jigs and no walleyes. My fiance landed a 3 pound sucker on a leech while jigging in the evening.

Day 4 (6/12) Two Island Lake. Was the best bass fishing we've ever seen on this lake. We drifted through all the islands on the back of the lake and were nailing them 1 right after another. In consecutive casts my fiance caught a 4 pound pike and a 3 pound bass. The overall average size was good too. I drifted across the main lake for walleyes and didn't have so much as a nibble. Fished the bay along the campsites in the evening and had some more fast bass action. Total catch was about 75 fish.

Day 5 (6/13) We had a late start because we hit up all the gift shops at the resorts at poplar and gunflint lakes. The news had reported that the gunflint lodge burned down, but there wasn't any trace of the fire in the area. For some reason I just didn't have a good feeling about this lake so after about an hour we loaded up (caught 2 nice smallies while we were there) and headed down to poplar lake. On both me and my fiance's first casts we caught bass, but after that it was pretty slow. I did catch a whitefish though, that was pretty cool. I've caught them through the ice before. The lake appears to have a good population of them judging from all of them feeding on the surface out on the main lake. Jigged and trolled for walleyes, but once again not a bite. Total catch was about 10 fish. Can't wait to smoke the whitefish!

Day 6 (6/14) Devil Track Lake. The bass were literally jumping in the boat. The average size of bass appears to have gone down a bit in the last couple years, but we still landed some real nice ones. Caught about 100 total fish. Did a little nightfishing in the mouth of the junco creek and in the access bay, but no bites.

Day 7 (6/15) Crescent Lake. Of course this is my favorite lake, and that's the day is decided to rain and storm. We launched the boat and went to the complete opposite end of the lake, then the thunder and lightning decide to move in. So we motor back...my fiance is crying at this point. The second we get back to the launch it starts to down pour! After it let up we fished from the dock and caught a few smallies and had 1 muskie follow (just a little guy, maybe 5 pounds). Because of the weather we drove around and fished from shore at various places. Caught some northerns from homer lake and the cascade river. Then went to devil track in hopes of some walleyes at sunset. Finally found them! I caught 2 keepers from shore with good ol' reliable bobber and leech.

Day 7 (6/16) Greenwood Lake. We've always caught numbers of small bass on this lake, and this year was no exception. Between me and my fiance we caught about 180 bass. Supposedly my dad and nephew caught just under 300. Spent alot of time looking for lakers, but didn't find any willing biters. Marked a few in 40 ft of water at various depths but that was it.

So all in all the trip was lot's of fun. I would like to inform everyone from now on to NOT listen to the weatherman ever again! Before I left the forecast was nothing but rain, thunderstorms, and cold temps the whole week. With the exception of friday all we got was nice sunny days. Anyway, grand marais/gunflint trail is a great place. If you've never been there before I highly recommend it. My dad has been taking me there every year since I was in diapers and I plan on doing the same thing when I have kids.

Nice report JB. Glad ya had a good time. Di you happen to go past Gunflint Lake towards the end? Just wondering how it looks up there from the fire? Junky....

Sounds like fun and Cresent is one of my favorite lakes too. I'll be heading up there this coming Sunday and was curious to knw if the campgrounds were busy? I'll be arriving on Sunday and I am hoping to get a lake site. To bad it had rained when you where there. Also , Have you ever tried Toohey lake? Thanks and Good Luck

I was only on the west end of gunflint, didn't make it past the resorts. So there could have been some fire damage on the east end. I know when I was on loon lake there was some signs of the fire on the east end.

There was more people than I normally see at the crescent lake campground, but I guess I wouldn't say it's busy. It's such a huge campground though, I don't think you'll have a problem getting a good spot. No, never fished toohey.

Where abouts is Cresent located? Don't seem to recall that lake up the trail. Junky..........

Crescent isn't on the gunflint. If you head up the gunflint you'll take a left at county rd 8 (to devil track lake) and then take a right at two island campground road, drive past the campground and then the road comes to a 3 way intersection, take a left...the road is called "the grade" on the street sign. You'll drive down that road awhile, passing eagle mountain, caribou trail, brule lake. The road goes along crescent for a little bit, then there's a big campground sign that takes you to the access.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

JB nice report, thanks.

Crescent was one of my favorite campsites and is for a lot of other people too. It gets crowded and hard to get a site on the water. Its off the Sawbill Trail.