Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CatManLee

Union Lake Report

7 posts in this topic

I decided to go and try Union Lake on Saturday. The day was beautiful and was a great day to be on the water. I pulled a spinner/crawler harness for a while in 8ft-14ft of water with only a few small Perch caught. After a couple hours I started looking for some Gills. It was an absolute blast catching all those fish, In a couple hours of fishing I easily caught 100+ Blue Gills. I didn't have any crappie/gill jigs, so I used a small hook and piece of crawler. I ended up keeping 15 of the biggest ones to take home for a meal and boy did they taste good.

Around sundown I casted for Bass and caught several nice fish as well.

It was a good day to get out, and fishing was good too.

I took my cousin over to Union on Friday to catch some Gills and Bass. We did really well on both, again 100+ bluegills and many, many bass landed. We did the best for both in a few feet of water over rocks and sand near deep water. We didn't catch any huge fish, but did manage this fish at around noon out of a deeper weed bed.

AnthonyBass.jpg

*On a side note* It's absolutely amazing how many Carp are in that lake. Everywhere we looked, they where swimming around the shallows.

Would there be a possible spot to bowfish from shore on union? we might be coming up some time soon to check out the land and i would like to try to do some bowfishing there.

thanks

Fishhead,

Drop me a email, I can probably put you in some good areas. mike@minkota.com bugs are getting pretty bad with all the rain we have had so be prepared.

You'll find alot of carp in the little bays that are not too developed, find out who owns them and talk to them and I'm sure they will be more than happy to let you shoot carp.

CatMan

Nice report and nice bass, looks like they are doing well, hang outside those weedbeds and you never know what you might find.

Mike

Actually Maple has better shore shooting opportunities but the water clarity has gotten real bad. Like Mike said, knock on some doors and I'm sure you'll find spots. I go out there quite often, was out there today in fact. Shot over 30 in 4 hours. If you want maybe we can get together on my boat when you come up.

wow thanks for all the offers! but it doesnt look like i'll be able to make it up until the early goose hunt.

thanks

the bass are there in large numbers, finding them is a difernt story. big one was 17 1/2 inches lots of slightly smaller ones, plastics are the way to go. remember C&R on them hogs.