• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I SHOT MY FIRST BOW

USPENAMC

i traded my handgun for a DARTON VAPOR BOW came with the release, sights, came with like 16 arrows a tool box with a bunch of fixed blade tips/ mechanical blade tips still in package. the bow bag for it. he also gave me a gps unit. had 2 targets also here is how it went

he said it was set up for 30 inches and the pull weight was a hair below 60 pounds. the bow does go down and ill have to go to gander mounta to take off a few inches but i was impressed.

the first shot i fired i was scared i pulled back and once i got to the let off i was able to hold it for quite a while i believe its an 80 percent let off..

i placed next to my cheek and looked through the peep i noticed i was stretching a bit past my ear so i believe its a bit long but i can adjust it.

the first arrow i didnt know which sight was setup for what yardage so i aimed with the middle one and it went over the practice square target.

so i measured 10 yards and then fired with the top sight and made groups about 3 inches high and 3 inches left . so i adjusted by shoooting at the right hand lower target circle and kept hitting in the general area of the bulls eye. at least i know im hitting high left.

the sight has 4 aiming points and we figured the following out

top peep 10 yards

2nd 15 yards

3rd 20 yards

and we didnt try the 4th we have to find out what that is set up.

so i had fun now my 14 year old brother is hooked and i have to find him one je je je. i had fun and i can say you have a newbie. i also find out about a range near where i live in eden prairie in a park here

welcome to the great sport of archery !! enjoy the new toy, but be patient!

We do have a great range in EP. Its out at Staring Lake. Drop me an email and we can go shoot sometime.

that is exactly where i went powerstroke. im going to take my bow to cabin fever in victoria and have them set it up just right for me. Any ideas on how much they charge. all i think needs to be adjusted is the pull lenght and i might have to get a new string and get it re striged there are a few frayed areas and would like to get that fix. once i get it set up ill get in contact with you see if we can go shoot some arrows that way you can correct some of my mistakes.

thanks,

dave

Uh oh! Another brain addled bow addict. Welcome to the family man! You'll never regret it. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys (not me!) who are very helpful on this site so if you have any quesitons, throw them out there.

If the bow needs a new string they will let you know. With the Vapor it has one module that is adjustable so it should be very easy to size for you. Usually I pay a few bucks for the labor and another couple bucks for lane charges to sight in and practice. Jeff and the staff at Cabin Fever are great.

Jeff, the owner, is the one who worked on my bow last. I got a new peep put in. He coached me on my grip and my anchor. With the new ideas he had me shooting bulls-eyes in under 20 shots. No more hand torque.

I can't speak to what they would charge you, but in general, I would expect to pay $20 or less. If you need strings than things will change. Your bow should have 2 cables instead of one long one and Darton's are main stream, but not that common. They may need to order them.

USPENAMC

Cabin fever will get you shooting right. You have been given some very good direction. As stated, if you need further help, please ask.

Welcome to the great sport of archery and enjoy.

thanks guys for the help. yeah i think i need new cables since one of them is frayed a bit might as well get all the work done on it and start off right. the only bad thing is i wont have anything to blame for my bad shots. holding 60 pounds isnt bad at all and i believe my Darton is at 80 percent let off and that helps. i will go to victoria probably friday PAY DAY and i will also take a look around since my 14 yr old brother is now hooked on shooting the bow. I was kind of not scared but worried the first time i fired the bow i was scared of the unknown what if i did it wrong what if what if. but i have found it to be a very fun thing to do.

i have one big silly question I would like to set up some of my ARROWS with BROADHEADS or EXPANDABLES so that i can shoot them and get a feel for how different they will travel compared to my target tips. I have a bunch of tips that came with the bow but i dont know how you put them on. would they be able to get me some arrows with broadheads at that place or can i buy them already put togehter some where? sorry lots of newbie questions. crazy.gifconfused.gif

I just got my first licks in last week. I'm banking away some money in preparation for a Fred Bear Instinct kit. The sooner I raise the money, the sooner I can go shoot it!

since you are just starting out, i wouldn't worry about broadheads for a while. the arrows should have a insert in the end of them , so you can unscrew it and change heads. when at the bow shop ask all the questions that come to mind!! there is no such thing as a stupid question, unless you don't ask it!they should be able to help you get set up with the righ arrows and pts for you. del

del is right, all your tips SHOULD be screw in. I doubt they are glued in, but it is possible.

Don't worry too much about broadheads. If your setup is well tuned, broadheads DON'T fly different. I have a broadhead target and some extra heads that are already dull if you really want to practice them.

There have been a few times when I have had broadheads that didnt fly worth a darn. Those expandable ones seem to fly nice but I personally just dont feel they are solid enough. I have seen some where the blades broke off.

I guess I'm just a Muzzy fan for life.

i found that my tips are screw in. the arrow didnt have the metal screw in part. i have like 6 muzzy looking ones and i have 6 expandables new in package i will put some names on here tommorrow see if anyone uses them and their feedback.

thanks,

dave