• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

launch etiquette

Refresh my memory here. I tend to fish and play on a pretty heavily used lake. There is usually a line up of boats waiting to launch and pull out and only so much room at the docks. Who has the right of way? I believe it's the ones pulling out or is it simply who is next in line with their trailer? You have to dock or pull up on the beach to go get your trailer. Then that doesn't leave any room for anyone to launch. They just redid this launch and it's an improvement but could have been done better to allow a boat to dock and a boat to launch at the same time on one side and the same on the other in my opinion. Just a bit longer docks is all it would take. Last night I thought a boat was waiting out off the docks for the trailer behind me so I pulled forward and to the side to allow the guy behind me to go first but he didn't go and then the other side opened up so I put in there. It was a moment of confusion for me and I may have confused them as well.

Normally it's the next vehicle in line with a trailer. That ramp doesn't sound like this process would work. confused.gif

Nick

Yep, It is just who is in line gets to use it next.

The lake he is describing sounds alot like waconia....

...and the best way to figure it all out? Call out to the person and ask them what they're up to. It usually lightens the mood and puts everyone on the same page.

Lack of communication starts most wars, and boat launch confusion!

Thanks guys. I figured if it was the guy behind me it would be one less boat in the launch area and then I would have room to get mine in and drop the trailer off. But then if you play by the rules some a$$ will still be mad about what is not going on the way he would like it. I usually try to give as much as I can and not get upset.

That lake sounds a lot like Waconia... What’s up with the single launch at the other end of the public area? Anyone know if that is meant as another launch or what? They could easily put a few more ramps in out there and it would make life a lot better...

Many years ago you were able to launch on that side but is very shallow over there now. If they dredged it it would work.

Ya, my friend and I used it with his small 14' and it worked good but anything with a larger motor would probly run a ground. They should work something out with it, a few more ramps on Waconia would be Great!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.