Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Moose-Hunter

Thompson Encore: Suggestions needed for pistol barrel

Moose-Hunter    0
Moose-Hunter

Howdy All!!!

I'm bringing my T/C Encore to another level by purchasing the parts needed for a pistol conversion. I picked up a used set of walnut "stocks" for it and now need to choose a barrel.

My first thought was to pick up a .270 barrel to match the caliber I already shoot in my Browning deer rifle. If I still reloaded, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, since I now run all factory ammo, I'd like to try something different.

This pistol would be primarily a deer gun. Where I hunt, my shots have been from 30 yards on the ground, to a very rare 150 yarder from a stand.

Like I said, I can always fall back on a .270, but would like to try something different. My current handgun for deer is a S&W 629 44 mag.

Any suggestions for the next phase for my Encore?

Thanks...

lcornice    0
lcornice

Quote:

Howdy All!!!

I'm bringing my T/C Encore to another level by purchasing the parts needed for a pistol conversion. I picked up a used set of walnut "stocks" for it and now need to choose a barrel.

My first thought was to pick up a .270 barrel to match the caliber I already shoot in my Browning deer rifle. If I still reloaded, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, since I now run all factory ammo, I'd like to try something different.

This pistol would be primarily a deer gun. Where I hunt, my shots have been from 30 yards on the ground, to a very rare 150 yarder from a stand.

Like I said, I can always fall back on a .270, but would like to try something different. My current handgun for deer is a S&W 629 44 mag.

Any suggestions for the next phase for my Encore?

Thanks...

There's a million opinions out there but I'd probably avoid the long action rounds with a short barrel. The 7mm-08 seems to be a really popular choice. When I was looking for an Encore, I had convinced myself of that caliber but wound up getting a great deal on a .260 Remington instead (same case different diameter bullet). It doesn't kick much at all and is quite accurate. If you want the other end of the spectrum, I also have a .375 JDJ that'll be used on bears this fall. It does kick quite a bit!

In any event, take a look at the .308-based cases (.243, .260, 7mm-08). I think they'd be a better choice than the long action's based on the 30-06.

Pistol Pete    1
Pistol Pete

Please be aware that if you did not purchase your Encore as a pistol to start with it is illegal to put a pistol barrel on it. I Don't want to see you get in trouble with the law. I know what I'm talking about because I was going to do the same thing. Buy the parts and change my Encore rifle/muzzeloader into a pistol. I called and wrote a letter asking if I could do this. Answer was NO. So I bought a got a permit to buy a pistol and did just that. You can take the pistol barrel off and put a rifle barrel on it and you are just fine. Just can't do it the other way.

tealitup    1
tealitup

Very good information to know!

Moose-Hunter    0
Moose-Hunter

Quote:

Please be aware that if you did not purchase your Encore as a pistol to start with it is illegal to put a pistol barrel on it. I Don't want to see you get in trouble with the law. I know what I'm talking about because I was going to do the same thing. Buy the parts and change my Encore rifle/muzzeloader into a pistol. I called and wrote a letter asking if I could do this. Answer was NO. So I bought a got a permit to buy a pistol and did just that. You can take the pistol barrel off and put a rifle barrel on it and you are just fine. Just can't do it the other way.

My initial reaction was to raise the "bs" flag.... I said to myself... "Hey, all the parts are available from the factory so it must be okay".... After a bit more thought I believe you are correct.

I used to hold an FFL and I can see what you're saying. Due to the fact my Encore frame had been originally registered as a rifle, in a conversion of this nature, I would essentially be creating a short barrel, pistol gripped "rifle" and not a legally registered handgun. And if memory serves this is at the very least a violation of state law and possibly one or more that go against the NFA.

I do have a permit to acquire handguns as wells as a conceal carry. I will do some checking and see if there is a way to get this done. However, with my Encore frame already considered (legally) a rifle, this project may be doomed.

All things considered, it's not all that bad. I still have one of the most versitle, most accurate rifle/muzzleloaders available. I still have my 629 if I want to hunt with a handgun. AND, I only paid about $30.00 for the Encore pistol stocks which I can always resell. cool.gif

I'd still like to complete this project (legally) and will continue to do a bit of poking around. If it turns out that it will be impossible, no big deal...

Thanks for the "heads-up" Pete!!!

Note: If anyone else has personal experience with this PLEASE post... Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!

Pistol Pete    1
Pistol Pete

I'm not trying to BS you. Trying to save you some possible headaches. I wrote a letter (which is what I was told I had to do) to the ATF. And their reply was a NO, you can't do that. It worked out for me to buy the pistol anyhow. Added a couple more rifle barrels and now my son and I both have an extra prairie dog gun grin.gif

Moose-Hunter    0
Moose-Hunter

No problems Pete. I really do appreciate the heads-up. Ever since I started shooting my Encore, I always wanted to try one of their pistols. Looks as if yet another addition to my collection is in order. wink.gif That being the case, I may just pick up one of their complete hunter packages... I've seen them available in .270 and .308. Both scoped and ready to be sighted in. The .308 sounds like it my be what I'm looking for. OR.... Should I just go from a pistol frame and build up from there... Your thoughts?