Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim_Anderson

Big Fish Hunt Guide Service Report--6/17

1 post in this topic

I have been spending the majority of my time on Lake Alexander, but have been over to Mille Lacs as well. Water has warmed up nicely this week, which is definitely turning up the dial on the musky activity. Surface temps on Alexander were at 64 last Saturday, and were at 73-75 yesterday....up 10 degrees in one week! Mille Lacs (as of Thursday) was low seventies near shore...I saw it as high as 76 in front of a creek, but was holding at 70 out in the main lake.

Mille Lacs has been slow, which is typical for June. We have been catching some nice muskies on Alexander on smaller bucktails and spinnerbaits. Smaller jerkbaits have been getting us some action as well. I lost a really big one this week....a "nipper" that came up-pinned after a brief stint of wallowing and head-shaking. Kind of a heart-breaker, but that's musky fishing.

The fish are getting pretty well distributed throughout the lake now. We've been seeing them on all kinds of structure....shallow weeds, deep weeds, steep breaks, island complexes, and mid-lake humps. Lots of suspended baitfish out in "no mans land", but have yet to get anything going trolling open water.

Alexander was treated for milfoil a couple of weeks ago. Much of it is turning brown, and where the milfoil is predominant, we haven't been seeing much musky activity. But, where there is a mixture of brown milfoil and green cabbage, we are still finding muskies in the pockets.

June is a great month on Alexander. If you'd like to get out for a big musky, give me a call at 218-232-6067. Good luck fishing and happy fathers day!