Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TMF89

Rigging My Canoe? (Respond ASAP Please!)

7 posts in this topic

Sorry for putting this in the wrong section, but I need an answer fast. I'm home alone, and I'm going to take my canoe out. I have a Ford Expedition, and I'm thinking of shoving it on top, tying the front to two U shaped tow bars beneath the hood, and taking one rope and tying it to one of the hitch holes (for the safety chains) in the back? How do you guys normally do it?

Try putting this is the canoe forum also and you may get a response sooner. Sometimes Sundays can be a slower day on the forums so it may take a little time.

Already put it there and even in the Metro Lakes forum.

TMF

I use the cheap foam canoe carriers that go between your canoe and the roof of your vehicle....basically to protect your vehicle. You can get them at most sporting goods stores...fleet farm, gander, etc. I also use straps that go over the top of your canoe and through the inside of your vehicle....one through the front doors, and one through the back doors. They sinch down the canoe tight and are quick and easy. Make sure they are flat....if they're not, they vibrate, and will drive you nuts when you're driving. Finally, strap down the front and back to the front tow hooks, rear trailer hitch, or bumper to keep it steady in the wind, and from going left and right. Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Careful. It's not a good idea to have any of your ropes against the finish on your vehicle. They get impregnated with sand and then damage the paint. Not much of a problem on pavement but a trip on Canadian gravel roads left me with strips of bare sheet metal on the front of my hood.

BillP, that is a great point. I will remember that if I load up a canoe.

We normally put a folded dish towel under the straps against the hood. Many trips down the Sawbill trail with good shiny results in the end.

CA