Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MSRiverdog

It's not just rocks

14 posts in this topic

It's sunken logs to, notice the reverse cup on the lower right blade, I had just put my spare 17" 3B stainless on cause the creek is dropping fast. D-- we hit that sinker right after we got on plane, no the shaft didn't bend, cleaned the crud off the blade though. shocked.gif

ReverseBladePitch.jpg

They do make jet lower units dude... grin.gif

Ouch!

Those dead heads are a pain!!! I havent lost any on the river but up in Canada id say weve trashed 3 or 4 in the last few years. All rocks up there. The thing is we hit a rock in a narrows and busted the skag right off. Those stainless props are a couple hundred bucks right?

It may sound strange but running stainless has saved me a bunch in prop repairs, have had less down time, performance is much better. If you looked at the leading edges of my 4 blade you'ld wonder about it cutting any water. More cavitation on take off than I want but when it catchs I can still get 40/41MPH GPS, 36/37 going upriver. This year I've been doing the ball peen/vice dance a couple time and will be sending it out this year. Run this creek and you will pay, I almost wish I lived on a lake instead.

Quote:

I almost wish I lived on a lake instead.

That's nearly blasphemy...

I'll trade you Riverdog. I don't live on a lake or river. No chance of dinging any props here. smirk.gif But then I'd have to get a new boat as mine definitely won't work on the river. I'd have no problem with that.

I just got my 16'Alumacraft Jon running and wonder if I should dare the Miss. It's a MV with a classic 50 Merc with Trim/Tilt. I was thinking about launching at the lower Rum and crusing the Miss. below the 169 bridge. What should I look out for? Yes the prop is aluminum. Looking for a good Catfish hole.Any tips?

As long as you stay on the downstream side of the Anoka Champlin bridge, run wild and free. Go above the bridge and it immediately changes.

As far as cat spots, no help that I can give on that.

I'm gonna get the tow rope out and charge to pull them out, them newbees with more guts than brains are are gonna start eating props amd skegs like a free meal in the upcoming weeks. I went a couple miles up today and made a few lines in the riverbed with my skeg while on plane. Dragged bottom on the float back and hung on a small rock once. Welcome to the river, looks like last year all over again, it's a little lower than normal June today. blush.gifblush.gif

What about the 610 bridge area? Can you launch and go up from 694? My Jon has about a 24" draft with the motor trimmed up and still pumping water. I saw some good cat areas up there the other day walking the bank. I can't wait to find a jet pump for my 50 hp.

Ebass could comment on that area I believe.

Depending on the size of your Jon boat, that 50 will be a 35 horse with the pump on it, that might be underpowered with guys and gear in it, there aint nothing worse than an underpowered jet boat! The last thing you want is to be dragging along trying to get up on plane in 2' of water or less!

The 610 area is about the same as the 694 area. Just go slow until you know where the deeper channel resides. It gets a lil scary as you get closer to the CR dam. I haven't been up that way for a couple of years. I draft about 14", and some spots I pucker. shocked.gif Read the river and you should be fine, but I'm not paying for a new lower unit if you rip it off tongue.gif