Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ace

Cajun Line?

19 posts in this topic

Anybody have any insight/opinions on this red fishing line? Just curious if it is any good or all hype...

Well it fishes like a ruberband and is inconsistant. Just buy FC

Quote:

Well it fishes like a ruberband and is inconsistant. Just buy FC

I too noticed it to have excessive stretch. It also seemed to have more memory that I find acceptable.

I use the copolymer for snells and I'm very happy with it.

My question is this....why is Cajun line RED? Aren't fish supposed to be attracted to the color red?

I got a free spool of cajun with a pfluger baitcaster I bought...the line is junk.

red is supposed to disappear in water but this makes no sence then why do red hooks that make the lure look like its bleeding? shouldnt the red hook be invisible?

Red is the hardest color to see underwater, but agreed, that's a stupid idea for a fishing line.

I dont care for it but it sells and I see other companies jumping on the red line bandwagon.

Ace, Just my opinion but only used the 20lb red cajun up fishing sturgeon in April. I caught a 52.5, 50, and 5 sturgeon over 48 inches on it. I took about 50 yards off and fished with it for northern pike in canada and had no problems. Just my 2 cents.

I use Cajun Red all of the time for leaders on my walleye lindy rigs and love it!

Very tough knot strength and line strength!

Cliff

Have used it a few times for live bait rigging and have had absolutely no problems. I just put some fresh line on the spool in the boat the other day and never had to run it out behind the boat to get memory out! blush.gif

I normally use Cortland 6lb. Camo which is far more superior that most of the other popular brands IMO.

But so far can't complain about CAJUN RED!!!

I have about 500 yards of the stuff on my trolling rod and love it. So far no problems. My 12lb. leader broke before the 8 lb did. Didn't seemed that inconsistent considering I had 80+ feet of line out when that happened.

I think it's junk -- way too stretchy, really really inconsistent diameters and break strengths. But it's cheap and easy to see so I use it as backing on my larger trolling reels and it works great for that.

Quote:

I think it's junk -- way too stretchy, really really inconsistent diameters and break strengths. But it's cheap and easy to see so I use it as backing on my larger trolling reels and it works great for that.

What pound test line are you guys using?

I use ten pound on a 2500 reel and I haven't noticed much stretch or weakness. The other day I pulled up a 1"x6"x4' wood board from 15 ft of water without the line breaking.

I believe the red color is just it's trade mark and does not have much to do with a fish visual perception of sensing fishing line.

You think people would be more concerned on Dia to lb ratio? Using the thinest dia line with the greatest lb test rating. So that when fish take your line they wont be able to notice there is a bit of extra weight it is pulling?

I tried a spool (8 lb) for the first time this year. I've only had one break-off with it and that was due to a little confrontation with the motor...

I don't have any performance or cost complaints with this line.

I had 6 lb Cajun line spooled on one of my ice reels last year. It had horrible memory. I stripped the line off the reel and tossed it halfway through the season.

Quote:

I believe the red color is just it's trade mark and does not have much to do with a fish visual perception of sensing fishing line.

Red is the first color to be filtered out of water in the light spectrum. With the line being transparent it will be filtered out around 12’. The red hooks and paints are not transparent so light will not filter through them making them standout.

I will use the line on a snell, but never on a reel. I've tried twice and had nothing but a tangled mess.

Like any mono it will have memory. The only way to aviod snarls is to make sure you line is tight while reeling in. Using the stuff on a DM II and no problems trolling cranks or spinners.

I use cajun on all my poles and have no problems at all with it.They make different line for casting .trolling etc.