Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD2100

Catfish

11 posts in this topic

Anybody know any good places to catfish on the St. Croix?

From shore or boat?

I'm curious about from shore myself- thanks

Grant

me too! me too! wanna konw where i can tangle with some bigger kitties ferom shore.

I know that you can get into some nicer cats upriver of Stillwater around the highbridge and boomsite areas. Look to the side channels and for down timber. Osceola holds a few cats in the deeper holes but for shorefishing opps, I'd head to the St Croix Falls park and fish around the boat landing. Cut bait and live suckers are decent but you can't beat a nice lively 4-7" bullhead lobbed out into the current. Crawlers will catch some fish after dark as well but the suckers, sheepies and quillbacks will pick you clean during the daylight hours. Below the bridge up at the falls there is some deeper water that holds fish as well. A bit trickier to get to in the dark though, so I'd do your research during the daylight hours.

Tunrevir~

Anybody catch any big cats at the NSP plant? i used to catch big sturgen and some littel cats there in the winter but know that it dosent drain all its hot water into the river i havent heard of anybody catching much there. thanks for your help tunrevir.

All the deep holes should be holding cats. I outlasted a 25 lb flathead near Franconia a couple weeks ago. A 1/16 oz. jighead, crappie minnow and 6 lb. test was the trick. blush.gif

Tunrevir, you up for lunch this week? Shoot me an email...

I'm planning on doing a nightfishing excursion up at franconia next week. Between 2 people and 4 lines I definitely plan to experiment with baits. Hopefully both the cats and the eels cooperate. By the way, eels cooperating means they don't bite at all.

JB stop by peltier on your way out and catch a few bullheads for bait, either of the east side of peltier or by the dam. You might really like the results!

Sohaad, lunch sounds good, I'll e-mail you later!

Tunrevir~

Can't say I've ever used bullheads for bait before. Do you rig them the same way you would a large sucker minnow?

Yep, I usually lip hook them but every once in awhile I'll hook them through the tail just for a bit more action.

Tunrevir~