Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Radio did not work

8 posts in this topic

Ok -- now I have radio troubles. With all of the rain and extremely high humidity do you think that is why it is not working?

It is the am/fm CD on my NEW boat. With have been getting a ton of rain over the last few weeks and the humidity has been extremely high.

Do you think it will "dry" out or is it shot and a warranty issue?

Thanks

Hit

Have you turned it on? If it was wet and you turned it on, it is very possible that it is shot.

I assume it has a "weatherproof" cover on it?

Is it a marine stereo?

I blew a car stereo on our pontoon last summer because it was not properly covered, it got wet, and someone tried to use it.

I put in a new stereo (another car model) and bought a proper cover for it, and it has been problem free...so far.

I'd let the dealer make the call... check to make sure it didn't blow any fuses (including any in-line ones on the back side of the unit or in the radio pigtail harness). If not - take it to the dealer.

marine_man

Hey guys -- called the dealer and he said it is not unusual to see a radio that does not work due to the amount of rain and high humidity. I don;t really buy that so I will check the fuse but it has those on dash fuses -- the pop up ones. Maybe there is another. I hope they put a "marine" radio into a 07 trophy 185 but I have seem dumb and dumber. crazy.gif

My new boats radio lasted 1 month, got in warrentied, that one lasted a couple weeks. I then just bought a good marine radio.

Moving forward if you do need to get a new stereo, I would recomend you skip the marine quality and go to Best Buy or the likes and buy a good car radio. Then just tack on the extended service plan. You'll be covered for 3-5 years regardless of if it gets wet or not. Sales guy told me as long as it was not dripping water when I brought it in it would be no problem. Have had a Kenwood CD for two years now and no issues thus far. All together it was cheaper than the marine grade Jensen prior to that, that one crapped out in a matter of a year.

Just my 2 cents.

I think marine radios are over-priced for what you get. Fact is if you get any stereo wet, it's gonna tank out on you. I agree with a regular automotive stereo being a better choice, just install it properly.

Excellent ideas, guys. If this radio does not work I will think about the Best Buy route. It makes dollars and sense.

wink.gif